addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

West Seattle Board Games Message Board › Ideas for next year

Ideas for next year

Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 633
This thread is for members to post ideas for next year.

Here is one idea:

When the new Uptown Expresso gaming cafe opens, run a full day kickoff event. Club members would teach and run games. This would be good for the new gaming cafe and also draw new members for the group.
Noah C.
user 13919180
Seattle, WA
Post #: 11
The full day event is a splendid idea

Here are some things I've got on my mind. I'll list them in the order of likelihood:

1. A periodic Caverna/Agricola/Le Havre night
2. A 7 wonders "superstar" tournament similar to last year. The difference is that each game in this series will feature a random variant.
3. As soon as the weather turns nice I thought it would be fun to organize a scavenger hunt.
4. A monthly party games event
5. Story games are a type of activity that most boardgamers haven't encountered yet. I thought I'd introduce the concept.
6. An RPG based on the concept of urban mythology. This is an RPG that's set in current times in your own location (Seattle!). People create their characters and give them an array of skills, either technological or supernatural and then must investigate wierd happenings. For example:

There's a mad scientist in Tacoma creating zombies in his basement.
or
Mysterious creatures are crawling out of Puget Sound in the middle of the night and abducting people.
or
Malevolent spirits that were long-ago banished by native peoples have returned to inflict evil upon the populace.

Still sound vague? yeah, that's why it's at the bottom of the list :P
Dawn
user 2687773
Seattle, WA
Post #: 17
Love the idea of a Uwe Rosenberg Game Day, maybe once a month. I'd be more than happy to play/teach Agricola, though once someone gets their hands on Caverna, I definitely need to try that one! smile I'm not a particular fan of Bohnanza, but it's a shorter UR game that we could have on hand as filler or for people who show up wanting something lighter.

I also like the idea of periodic party games night. It seems they were a big hit at the holiday party and they would attract boardgamers who aren't quite as geeky as some of the rest of us. tongue

I wouldn't mind hosting a train game day with a bunch of train games (Ticket to Ride, Railways of the World, Age of Steam, TransAmerica, etc.). Anyone have Steam or Age of Steam?

Hey, Noah, what do you have in mind for the scavenger hunt? Would it be related to games or just a fun alterative that gets us out and about?
Noah C.
user 13919180
Seattle, WA
Post #: 12
The scavenger hunt would definitely be puzzley, maybe have a bit of West Seattle history mixed in.
Shawn
user 80264132
Seattle, WA
Post #: 20
I like the idea of theme nights. The Uwe Rosenberg night sounds great. I also think it would be great to have a Light Euro night where I can bring a good number of entry level worker placement games. Maybe have a "Favorite Game" night where everyone bring their 1 most favorite game and we pick which ones we will play. I also like the idea of party games and that they may draw more people.

Another thing I was thinking, and this may be dorky, but to make some Table tents or signs that say something like "Ask us about our gaming group" or provides info on how to join. I feel we get a few people who come and ask us questions when we play but maybe don't feel like they could just join in with us. Something like that.

Also maybe we can do a quick survey with everyone who comes the next few weeks. Something where everyone lists the top 3-5 things they like about the group and 3-5 things they want to see in the future. I know some people are more willing to provide feedback if we approach them but won't do it proactively.
Noah C.
user 13919180
Seattle, WA
Post #: 14
Little info cards, I've been thinking the same thing. I'll get on it.
Laura Walton A.
user 74249342
Seattle, WA
Post #: 8
Noah, I love the scavengers hunt idea, and I'm totally willing to help with that. I've done a couple before, including one in which the clues were all written as limericks. It's a blast, both organizing and participating.

Shawn, I like your idea of the themed nights, too. I also liked that list of achievements you posted; it might be fun to consider some sort of achievement system for the group...? I mentioned badges, like Makerspaces offer, but it wouldn't even have to be physical, I suppose.

I would also like to see one or two regular meetups of certain serial games take off as the year progresses. I'm thinking of the LOTR card game, of course, and also Netrunner, but there are others; I really like collecting expansions and new releases for games I enjoy.
Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 635

I would also like to see one or two regular meetups of certain serial games take off as the year progresses. I'm thinking of the LOTR card game, of course, and also Netrunner, but there are others; I really like collecting expansions and new releases for games I enjoy.
I plan to run fairly regular Battlestar Galactica and Android Netrunner events the coming year.

I will also do a single general LOTR event (not just confined the the LCG) and that might be a good time to introduce the LCG. After that you could run regular LOTR LCG events if you wanted.

The new Pathfinder card game might also be a good candidate for this.
Phil A.
user 34731822
Seattle, WA
Post #: 3

5. Story games are a type of activity that most boardgamers haven't encountered yet. I thought I'd introduce the concept.
6. An RPG based on the concept of urban mythology. This is an RPG that's set in current times in your own location (Seattle!). People create their characters and give them an array of skills, either technological or supernatural and then must investigate wierd happenings. For example:

There's a mad scientist in Tacoma creating zombies in his basement.
or
Mysterious creatures are crawling out of Puget Sound in the middle of the night and abducting people.
or
Malevolent spirits that were long-ago banished by native peoples have returned to inflict evil upon the populace.

Still sound vague? yeah, that's why it's at the bottom of the list :P
Definitely interested in #5 and would sign up to give #6 a try (and I don't care if they're at the bottom of the list).

I also like Gene's idea of having a LoTR/fantasy theme game day. We could introduce LotR and/or Pathfinder card games. And a few dozen other fantasy games we have. :-)
Gene L
user 19640341
Group Organizer
Seattle, WA
Post #: 637
I will probably start a "meetup" to discuss future ideas/games for 2014 on the home page as many people do not read the message boards.