Join me for a Spring Walk. We will walk about 2 miles, easy terrain. This will be a leisure walk, not a race through the woods. If we would like to do more we can add on a one mile or 2 mile loop, it will be up to the group. You can stop after the 2 mile loop if you like. This group will try to walk at Rockwood Hall and other locations at least once a week.
If you respond yes to a meetup, please update your response if you can't make it. I will send my cell phone number to those that are coming the night before. I would like to start the promptly at 9:30 am. We will wait but only for 5 minutes if you call to tell me.
Rockwood Hall is the site of the former summer home of William Rockefeller [masked]), brother of John D. Rockefeller. In 1886, he purchased Rockwood, a 200-acre estate, and built Rockwood Hall, a mansion with 204 rooms. Frederick Law Olmsted designed the landscape, which includes many ornamental trees. Following Rockefeller's death in 1922, the estate was converted into a country club, which soon went bankrupt. In 1937, the property was acquired by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., William's nephew, who arranged for the mansion to be razed in 1941-42.
The Rockefeller family donated Rockwood Hall to New York State in 1999, and it now forms a part of Rockefeller State Park Preserve. Although the buildings are gone, the foundations remain, and the carriage roads that were constructed by the Rockefeller family offer an opportunity for a delightful stroll through the property, with panoramic views over the Hudson River. Bicycles are not allowed, and while equestrians are permitted (with a permit), a recent visit indicates that the carriage roads are rarely used by horses. Although not blazed, the roads followed by this hike are easily followed.
Rain cancels, will email by 8 am if walk is to be canceled. Bring water and snacks if you like. The walk will take about 1 hour for the 2 mile loop.
From Tappan Zee Bridge and from southern Westchester/Tarrytown
Take the New York State Thruway over the Tappan Zee Bridge, and get off at the first exit, Exit 9. Turn right at the top of the ramp onto US 9 (South Broadway), and continue north on US 9 through the Village of Tarrytown. After 1.7 miles, you'll come to a complex intersection where you should bear left to continue on US 9. In another 1.8 miles (3.5 miles from the Thruway exit), immediately after crossing under NY 117, turn right at a sign for "Rockwood Road," and follow the ramp onto NY 117. After reaching a stop sign, continue ahead through an intersection, following the sign to "Kendal on Hudson," pass an exit from a parking area on the left, then turn left at the entrance to the parking area.
From Taconic and northern Westchester
Take the Taconic and exit Rt 117, follow Rt 117 westbound towards the end, bear left towards Rockwood and Kendall on Hudson. After reaching a stop sign, continue ahead through an intersection, following the sign to "Kendal on Hudson," pass an exit from a parking area on the left, then turn left at the entrance to the parking area
By participation in this event, you have read and agree to this WAIVER:
In consideration of my being accepted to participate and/or actually participating in the above-described event, I hereby for myself, my heirs, executors, administrators and assigns (1) waive and release any rights and claims for damages for injuries that may arise against Westchester Wanderers meetup groups, their organizers, event organizers, event helpers, members, employees and agents, from my participation in the event, (2) agree not to commence any legal action to recover such damages, (3) agree, if I violate the previous clause, to hold harmless and indemnify defendants for any attorneys' fees and other costs that I may incur and I agree to pay for any and all expenses and damages incurred by them in defending such legal action, and (4) grant Westchester Wanderers ermission to use my name, photograph or likeness. In addition, I hereby attest that I am fully aware that hiking is a dangerous activity that can result in injury and/or death and that I am adequately physically fit to participate in the hike and that I attend this event completely at my own risk with no expectations whatsoever of other members of the group. I hereby attest that I am fully aware that there is no cost to me required to be a member of the group or to attend any of the group's events, and that Westchester Wanders and its members are not a business or commercial operation, that it does not carry liability or medical insurance for its members and that any voluntary donations of money or other valuable goods that I contribute to the group or any of its members for any reason does not constitute a purchase of service nor does it entitle me to any rights or relationships with respect to the group or any of its members.
By adding your RSVP online to this event/hike or attending this event/hike, you are agreeing to and accepting the following:
RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY,
ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
IN CONSIDERATION of being permitted to participate in any way in the EVENT(S) as described in this event posting above organized by or in association with Westchester Wanderers Meetup Group (hereinafter “GROUP”), EACH OF THE participants who RSVP for and/or attend the event/hike, for himself, his personal representatives, heirs, and next of kin:
1. Acknowledges, agrees, and represents that he has or will immediately upon entering any area in which the EVENT is to occur (“EVENT AREAS”), and will continuously thereafter, inspect the EVENT AREAS which he/she enters, and he/she further agrees and warrants that, if at any time, he/she is in or about EVENT AREAS and he/she feels anything to be unsafe, he/she will immediately advise the organizers of the EVENT of such and if necessary will leave the EVENT AREAS and/or refuse to participate further in the EVENT(S).
2. HEREBY RELEASES, WAIVES, DISCHARGES AND COVENANTS NOT TO SUE the members of the GROUP, organizers, promoters, participants, sanctioning organizations or any subdivision thereof, rescue personnel, any persons in any EVENT AREA, promoters, sponsors, advertisers, owners and lessees of premises used to conduct the EVENT(S), premises and event inspectors, surveyors, underwriters, consultants and others who give recommendations, directions, or instructions or engage in risk evaluation or loss control activities regarding the premises or EVENT(S) and each of them, their directors, officers, agents and employees, all for the purpose herein referred to as “Releasees,” FROM ALL LIABILITY TO THE PARTICIPANT, his/her personal representatives, assigns, heirs, and next of kin FOR ANY AND ALL LOSS OR DAMAGE, AND ANY CLAIM OR DEMANDS THEREFOR ON ACCOUNT OF INJURY TO THE PERSON OR PROPERTY OR RESULTING IN DEATH OF THE PARTICIPANT ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE EVENT(S), WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE.
3. HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY AND SAVE AND HOLD HARMLESS the Releasees and each of them FROM ANY LOSS, LIABILITY, DAMAGE, OR COST they may incur arising out of or related to the EVENT(S) WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIENCE OF THE RELEASEES OR OTHERWISE.
4. HEREBY ASSUMES FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY RISK OF BODILY INJURY, DEATH OR PROPERTY DAMAGE arising out of or related to the EVENT(S) whether caused by the NEGLIGENCE OF RELEASEES or otherwise.
5. HEREBY acknowledges that THE ACTIVITIES OF THE EVENT(S) ARE VERY DANGEROUS and involve the risk of serious injury and/or death and/or property damage. Each of THE PARTICIPANTS, also expressly acknowledges that INJURIES RECEIVED MAY BE COMPOUNDED OR INCREASED BY NEGLIGENT RESCUE OPERATIONS OR PROCEDURES OF THE RELEASEES.
6. HEREBY agrees that this Release and Waiver of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement extends to all acts of negligence by the Releasees, INCLUDING NEGLIGENT RESCUE OPERATIONS and is intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by the laws of the Province or State in which the EVENT(S) is/are conducted and that if any portion thereof is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect.
I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY AGREEING TO IT, AND DO SO FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT, ASSURANCE OR GUARANTEE BEING MADE TO ME AND INTEND MY ONLINE RSVP FOR AND/OR ATTENDANCE AT THE EVENT TO BE A COMPLETE AND UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF ALL LIABILITY TO THE GREATEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW.