align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The Westchester Novice Hikers Meetup Group Message Board › Fall 2010 UPDATE: The mountains are calling and I must go. ... (John Muir)

Fall 2010 UPDATE: The mountains are calling and I must go. ... (John Muir)

Closed to new replies

Paula
pdibernardo
Group Organizer
Lake Peekskill, NY
The mountains are calling and I must go. ... (John Muir)

What a wonderful quote, and one that speaks to me everytime I see it.

They call me.. have been calling since before I started this group! Unfortunately, life intervenes.. I haven't been able to get out hiking nearly as much as I've wanted to over the years and many times have had to be 'content' with books, maps, exploring online - link to link to link.. and talking - meeting other hikers and nature loving folk.

Life intervening this year has taken the hard trail of an assault last June that left me in bad shape physically and emotionally, My daughter graduating college and then off for a year long apprenticeship in MD, various temporary and p/t jobs on a variety of schedules (weekends too.. crying) and I've moved several times - Rockland to Northern Westchester to Northern Westchester. I'm happy to say that I've settled nicely into a small cottage with a large deck and the Catskill Aqueduct as my backyard (literally), Linda is settled into her apprenticeship, all injuries have healed or improved - and I am heeding the call... the call of the mountains.. (hills, trails, trees, the colors and sounds and textures .., the birds, and streams...)

Northern Westchester - not too far from the Bear Mountain Bridge - seems a perfect location to me in many ways but particularly thrills the hiker and nature lover in me. I'm close enough to Bear, Harriman, Storm, Black Rock on the Orange/Rockland side of the bridge and close to an abundance of wonderful hiking on the Westchester and Putnam side too.

In the last week I've been able to get out and hike some new trails for Thanksgiving morning and for my 6th Annual "Walk Your Stuffing Off" hike. I need to scout a few more on my list and fine tune the details before posting.

Re: Thanksgiving morning hike - while I don't expect a big crowd, if you think you might be able to make it please do rsvp! The hike I've picked is close to the Bear Mountain Bridge (for easy access from NJ/Rockland/Orange as well as Westchester/Putnam folks) BUT the size of the group does affect how far we go/where we park etc - I've alloted 3 hours, 8-11 a.m. so everyone can get on their way to their respective celebrations. Moving 5 people along a trail is different than 10, or 15 or 20.. the better idea I have beforehand, the better experience we'll all have.

Re: "Walk Your Stuffing Off" hike - While I love the location of previous years WYSO hike I'd like to find something different this year. And I do love my theme (Cranberry Lake one year, Turkey Lake the others) so I may keep searching and exploring until all criteria are met As in previous years the hike will be limited to 30 hikers and I EXPECT YOU TO SHOW UP IF YOU SIGN UP!!!!!

As always, if you have any questions or comments please email me rather than put them in your rsvp or comment area.

To new members - I hope to meet you on a hike or event soon!
To those that are not so new but have 'stuck around' through my starts and stops over the years - THANK YOU SO MUCH love struck- and I hope to see you all soon too.

~paula

p.s. If you live in the Cortlandt Manor area - I'm new up there and would love to know who lives/works close by.. so drop me a line and let me know! thanks smile