add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Western MA Permaculture Message Board › Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

user 2469531
Northampton, MA
Post #: 2
I'm wondering what permies do (and have done) to address poison ivy. What successful natural approaches have been used to eradicate its growth and spreading?
Mary M
Conway, MA
Post #: 3
Put on full body coverage clothes and rubber gloves, pull it up by the roots, put it in garbage bags, throw it out. Wash your gloved hands with water/soap. Rinse off thoroughly with outdoor hose. Walk directly to the washing machine, strip off all the clothes, put them in the washer. Go directly to the shower, shower and soap thoroughly. I am very allergic to poison ivy and have done this successfully by being very careful. This is the only real way to beat back poison ivy. Spraying things like white vinegar just slows it down, doesn't really get rid of it. Mowing it is supposed to slow it down, but you are spreading the oil everywhere.
user 2469531
Northampton, MA
Post #: 3
Thanks, Mary! Good to find you on the Wester MA permaculture list!
Nancy H.
user 64771582
West Springfield, MA
Post #: 1
soap up with brown lye soap, or tecnu before working in poison ivy, along with the following advice. Away from people poison ivy is good for birds.

user 31454172
South Deerfield, MA
Post #: 1
Hello all,
Here is what I have done. I used an organic mix available at Hadley Garden Center recommended by a master gardener: St. Gabriel Organics: Poison Ivy fast acting defoliant. This spring was the first time I used it and wow. When in the budding stage I sprayed it on and the leaves literally melted:) they turned brown and died! Eventually I believe you have to dig up the plant by the root but not 100% sure about that. If there are no leaves, how could it live? Then a few days later I could hardly find the vine it had deteriorated so much. One of the few ingredients is Clove Oil. Smells good when spraying but must take care not to inhale too too much: nasal mucosa can get a little irritated. OMRI listed.
And what helped me last year was Burt's Bees Poison Ivy soap and a homeopathic, Hyland's Poison Ivy/Oak remedy (found it at Whole Foods)--a life saver!! But don't let it get that far. Precautions above are very useful!! I have a special Poison Ivy shovel that sits in the corner of the basement for the digging process and it gets used for nothing else.
Good luck!! Maz