WMP First Friday Group Show - October 2014

  • October 3, 2014 · 5:00 PM

The Western Montana Photography Meetup Group is on for a group show at the Missoula Community Access TV studio in October. The venue consists of a smallish gallery room with plenty of wall space and a big honkin' broadcast TV studio. Yeah, that's what I said. Let's fill this thing up!

Pre-Show Meeting: 5pm Wednesday, September 24 at MCAT. 

UPDATE: Locking it down as of 2:40pm Wednesday Oct 1. I need a final list of the number, sizes, and formats (framed, wrap, etc.) from everybody who intends to participate in the show as of now. I'll finalize the space to reserve this evening. We will not be using the large studio room, but we will have space outside the gallery room. No easels needed. All wall-mounted.

Here's some more about setup and logistics for the show on the WMP message board: Gallery Show.

For those of you who don't know about MCAT, it is a great resource for video and multimedia production. They provide studio time, video processing workstation use and training, and camera and sound equipment rentals, all for a very low annual fee. And by low, I mean low. No, lower. Lower. You're getting there. They are very flexible to work with, and they even have a resident zombie movie producer in-house!

If you're interested in either participating in the group show or want to see what MCAT is about, stop by and check out the facilities. Joel is the man to talk to if you have specific questions about the First Friday venue.

Join or login to comment.

  • christopher N.

    Can anyone grab my photos for me, I am late returning from Banff i would really appreacite it thanks chris

    October 30

    • Peter D.

      Next week is OK. If you need me to pick them up then, let me know.

      October 30

  • Peggy M.

    Wow, Peter. That's, well ... what can one say? Too bad! hope your cat is alright, as well as you!
    Hope all of you want to, are willing to, show in April at Prudential Gallery - 314 N. Higgins. They keep the stuff up for the month. Peter will post more closer to event. They want to know how many by mid March.

    October 4

  • Peter D.

    Whew! Glad y'all had a good time! I figured things started to go wrong for me when I had to spend a couple of days at the vet – turns out the cat has diabetes, so there went a day or two. And just when I was getting a couple of last-minute prints done, the old, decrepit, multiply-repaired printer decided to die. And later, as Joel and crew were getting ready to close up for the night, I felt a little off, went to the restroom, and woke up after a while in the stall, freezing, sweating and shaking off some really weird nightmares. Yay! Food poisoning! For all I knew, it was 3am and I was locked in the TV station for the night. It had only been a few minutes, though. All in all, a true adventure. Now that all that's out of the way ....

    October 4

  • Holly

    The WMP First Friday Group Show went very well. A big thank you to Peter for organizing the event and securing the venue at MCAT. The staff at MCAT were all very accommodating and helpful. It was a great opportunity to see the work of a few photographers in our group and network with new folks. Overall, I felt it was a success.

    1 · October 4

  • Peggy M.

    great show. Impressive display of art! Loved it!

    2 · October 4

  • Peter D.

    For those of you wondering about the proper formal attire for First Friday in Missoula, as long as you've bathed in the last three days or so you should be good to go. Missoula is pretty much pathologically casual. As long as you're comfortable and presentable, you'll be OK. It seems your comfort is the most important aspect of your appearance around here. If you want to err on the formal side, wear what you'd wear to a decent yard party where you'd expect to play Calvinball with the boss's dogs and kids.

    1 · October 3

  • Peter D.

    If anybody's ready to hang stuff today, MCAT is open until 8.

    1 · October 2

  • Pamela D.

    I have been traveling and just got back late do to Chicago issue. Today I'm getting out of my traveling coma. Just checking emails so I missed out. Let me know if you need canvas wraps of cars, abstract, or flowers. Thanks. Hope to be more involved. It's been a busy year which is great!

    1 · October 2

    • Peter D.

      Dang! I bet we're going to be out of room. If it looks like there's going to be any spare space tomorrow afternoon I'll post a last-minute announcement.

      October 2

  • Holly

    It's 5pm Wednesday. I've missed the set up time and have an urgent matter to attend to. Really disappointed that I didn't make the deadline. Another time, perhaps. All the best to those of you who are displaying work. ~Holly

    October 1

    • Holly

      Whew! Thanks, Peter. I'm back "in" for the show. :)

      1 · October 1

    • Peter D.

      Whew! Had me worried about filling the space! Well, wait until we try to fit Jerome's stuff in .... Ceiling, maybe? :-) Hey, that gives me an idea ....

      October 1

  • Peter D.

    Hanging time is after 1pm Thursday and Friday. They have plenty of hooks & nails, I don't recall seeing any wire. Hanging space is the gallery and control room.

    1 · October 1

    • Peter D.

      Again, the deadline for today was to put a hold on additional submissions, not to set up. Setup is Thursday and Friday after 1pm, as you have time.

      2 · October 1

  • christopher N.

    Sounds great I will be there Friday to do it

    1 · October 1

    • Peter D.

      OK, I'll bring my stuff in Friday, too, and I'll drop by sometime Thursday.

      1 · October 1

  • Peter D.

    Snacks and beer. We need snacks and beer. Good snacks. Good beer. Maybe some of that rotten grape juice stuff, too, for those what like it.

    September 28

    • Peter D.

      They're the exhibitors' responsibility at all the FF venues I know of. And that way, we get what we want.

      1 · September 28

    • Peter D.

      MCAT does provide the snaxnstuff, unlike some others I know of. See, this is a good place!

      1 · October 1

  • Bryan

    I'm going to have to cancel on this. I'm not going to be able to find, print and frame/matte stuff in time. :-(

    September 29

  • Bryan

    Peter, can you help with calibration of a monitor so I can get accurate colors for prints?

    September 15

    • Bryan

      Thank you for the offer, Joyce. I just saw this now. With school and all, I'm not sure I'll even have time to get my stuff ready for Friday.

      September 29

    • Peggy M.

      Notice to you all -- there is another show in April at Prudential. Don't forget.

      September 29

  • Peter D.

    Anybody know somebody who works in a school or someplace that could loan easels out for the evening to display big stuff?

    September 17

  • Peter D.

    When would be a good time for a pre-show organizational meetup? Brian and I are usually there Wednesday evenings anyway, so that's my first choice.

    September 16

    • Peter D.

      OK: the pre-show organizing meeting will be at 5pm Wednesday September 24 at MCAT.

      September 17

    • anne k.

      I can make that. Also, I will have my photos to you Friday, Peter. Have had a busy week and drs. today. Thx. @. (Do you want me to drop them by your house? Afternoon is most likely.)

      September 17

  • Peter D.

    Artist Statement:

    My work explores the relationship between Critical theory and copycat violence.

    With influences as diverse as Blake and John Lennon, new variations are generated from both constructed and discovered discourse.

    Ever since I was a child I have been fascinated by the traditional understanding of relationships. What starts out as contemplation soon becomes corrupted into a carnival of lust, leaving only a sense of what could have been and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis.

    As temporal derivatives become frozen through diligent and diverse practice, the viewer is left with an insight into the edges of our existence.

    If you need one of your own, here's the link: http://www.artybollocks.com/

    September 16

  • Bryan

    Artist statement: My work explores that tantalizing realm where the finite meets the infinite.

    September 16

  • Peter D.

    OK, I'll need brief artist statements and proposed exhibits, and an exhibit description ASAP for the Arts Council website. This isn't a commitment lock-out, but if you want to publicize your participation, e-mail me your statement and what (in general at least) you plan to show. Keep statements short since there will be more than one, and use a longer one for the show if you want. Then I can base the show description on our proposed entries.

    September 3

    • christopher N.

      Any word yet on the number or size restrictions or preferences that we can display? Thanks. Sorry I missed our last meetup I work for the medical helicopter in town and sometimes do not get off on time. Look forward to meeting everyone soon.

      September 12

    • Bryan

      Aw, it's comforting to see a Southern CA phone #.

      1 · September 16

  • Peter D.

    So far two people want to bring large (20x24 and bigger) pieces, so I'd like to put big stuff in the TV studio and smaller prints in the gallery room. Good news / bad news: the big stuff will have its own space, but we can only use the studio for FF; we have the gallery room all month.

    September 16

  • Peter D.

    Quick! Can anybody come up with a better title than "Whither Dissent: The Disjunction of Juncture"?

    September 15

    • christopher N.

      Good ideas:) I like a title about diversity

      September 15

    • Peter D.

      I got that from an irreverent online exhibit title generator. I ended up calling it "Self-Titled" in the blurb to the FF web page.

      September 16

  • Peter D.

    If anybody wants to submit a short(!) video, I will collect them to put on a thumb drive. We can use at least one 27" monitor.

    September 15

  • Peggy M.

    I don't think I will be exhibiting in this one, so Holly can have my space!

    1 · September 15

  • Peggy M.

    I think the approach we had thought would work is to see how many want to present some work, what their preferences are space wise, and then divide up the space.

    1 · September 12

  • Peter D.

    There's no real limit beyond practicality for the size and number of items. The gallery room is small dining room size – maybe 12' x 15' with no furniture, so the middle of the floor is available. The studio will be a bit tricky to hang large items in if we need the space, since we won't be able to tear up the walls. We can pull black curtains around the whole room (I suggest we do that so the background & green-screen walls won't matter). I'll check on what sort of hanging arrangements are available. Easels are always an option since they don't depend on walls, but would be an extra expense. That could be a good way to display a few big items and allow a lot of space around them, though. There are overhead rails we could possibly use. I'll see about using wires and hooks to hang frames from the rails near the walls.

    1 · September 12

  • Peter D.

    Idea for a themed section of the show: cell phone pics.

    September 2

  • Peter D.

    Let's have a pre-show meetup to plan and decide what we want to display. We'll need to let Joel know how much space we intend to use. My printer is available. I'll drop by MCAT this coming FF to check on last-minute changes there (I don't expect any). Anybody who wants to join the show can stop by the station any time (they keep afternoon and evening hours mostly) to check out the current month's exhibit and available space.

    1 · September 2

    • christopher N.

      Sounds great. I am new to mso and have been reading your thoughts about how will work bestto display. Any idea when you are thinking about a pre show meet up ? Thank you for all of the information and planning

      September 2

    • Peter D.

      No particular time for a planning session in mind. What do the rest of you think? I also want to try making my own frames. We'll see how that goes. And I have a matte cutter, too. And the box of 8x12-ish variously colored mattes from Bryan.

      September 2

  • christopher N.

    I just came accross this, is there an opportunity to still display at this? Thank you, chris

    September 1

    • Peter D.

      Plenty of time and plenty of space, too.

      September 2

  • Peter D.

    It would naturally be nice if everybody could be available during the show, but it would be silly to demand it. As I said in the linked post, setup will be different for the gallery and studio spaces. I'll find out the earliest setup times for each room. Early setup will be possible for the gallery, but will probably have to be last-minute for the studio since it will likely be in use until 4 or 5. If you can't be there during the event, but you'd like to make more information available for viewers, you could set up in the gallery early and coordinate with another presenter or print some info sheets – whatever works.

    1 · June 22

  • Peggy M.

    A First Friday show! Sounds fun! Do the artists need to be there at the show, or just put our stuff up beforehand?

    June 20

9 went

Imagine having a community behind you

Get started Learn more
Henry

I decided to start Reno Motorcycle Riders Group because I wanted to be part of a group of people who enjoyed my passion... I was excited and nervous. Our group has grown by leaps and bounds. I never thought it would be this big.

Henry, started Reno Motorcycle Riders

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy