Cross Country Ski
Skyway ski trails
on Grand Mesa
Sunset is 5:15 PM and the moon rises at 5:11 PM
Weather forecast looks great!
Meet at 5:15 at Palisade Park n Ride parking lot at Palisade exit from I-70; just east of Elberta Ave. We can carpool &/or caravan from there. This is the same I-70 exit as Wine Country Inn.
Or meet at Skyway parking lot at 7 PM. Look for Carol's dark blue Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- X-C skis &/or snowshoes; poles
- Wax, if you're using waxable skis; scraper, cork.
- Dress in layers so you can adjust to temperatures as you execise then rest
- Water & snacks
- Thermos of hot (adult?) beverage in the car
- Dry clothes and shoes in the car
Since we will be at Skyway trails this time, leave FIDO home. No dogs allowed on this trail.
No charge for trail use but donations or membership in Grand Mesa Nordic Council is suggested.
We had to buy a GMNC membership to reserve the warming hut so a small contribution toward that $45 membership cost would be appreciated.
Skyway GMNC Skier Warming Hut - Elizabeth & Carol suggest we bring:
- warm camp-clothes (puffy jackets, dry socks, down booties)
- firewood, axe or hatchet, fire starter materials
- camp stove w/ a pot or two
- lantern &/or headlamp
- food to be eaten cold or heated (Elizabeth is making a big pot of tortilla soup)
- beverages (adult in moderation or otherwise)
You can rent x-c skis or snowshoes for $12-20/ day, depending on where. Always call in advance to reserve and learn pick-up/ return hours:
- Board & Buckle rents both
- REI rents snowshoes
- Powderhorn Ski Resort rents x-c skis