Walk from West to East Monument Entrances
Tonight Liberty Cap trailhead to East Entrance
Segment 4 of 4
Come along this evening for section #4 of the 4 part Tuesday evening series. Think about telling people at work, or your family "I walked the whole face of the Monument". Not too many people will be able to say that, I bet.
This hike will be brisk paced, there is no turning around and there is no place to just say 'oh go on and leave me, I'll be fine'. I expect to be mostly on trails but I cannot guarentee that. Please do not sign up for this hike if you are not confident of having better than average stamina and willingness to 'keep up'. We will not be running; but, it will not be a Monument Canyon stroll either. If you have any questions about whether this hike is for you, please call me.
Meet at the East Entrance (wide pull-out near the fee collection station). We will leave some cars here at the end point then drive over to Liberty Cap Ute Canyon trailhead to begin this evening's adventure. Meet at 5:45 PM near the East Monument Entrance fee station.
Let me know in advance if you expect to be a little late and you can meet us at the start of the hike at Liberty Cap trailhead.
- Strudy shoes or light boots
- Trekking poles (if you like them)
- Gloves (leather or similar since we'll be going up a steep loose area to start)
- Headlamp (MUST HAVE for this hike as I expect that we will be walking part of the bench and the trail down after dark).
CO Nat'l Monument parking fees need not affect us this time since we will be parking just outside the gate.
Sorry but no since, even though a very remote part of the Monument, we will be in the Monument.
Doug Van Etten [masked]
*** Acknowledgement of Risk ***
By RSVPing YES and participating in this activity you acknowledge that you have read the statements below and agree to abide by them while participating in this or any Western Slope Adventurers activity. Only those persons who have read this information and agree to its terms shall be viewed as participatants in this or any WSA activity.
Hiking, backpacking, road or mountain biking, water sports, skiing, snowshoeing, climbing, rappelling, canyoneering and other adventure sports are fun, but are not without risk. You are responsible for your own safety and staying within your own comfort limits. All Western Slope Adventurers events are unguided events. By participating in a WSA event, you acknowledge that you have a personal duty and responsibility for your own safety.
Western Slope Adventurers MeetUps are organized to provide a venue for outdoor enthusiasts to meet and have fun while sharing in experiences and adventures.
Neither the WSA MeetUp nor any event organizer assess the personal, technical and/or safety skills of participants; nor do they assess any event location to determine current conditions.
By your participation, you acknowledge that you have a personal duty and responsibility to (a) assess your own skills, honestly and accurately, to determine your suitability as a participant for each event, (b) seek adequate information to assess the difficulty of each event to determine if it is within your fitness and skill level, (c) seek adequate information about the current conditions in each area and the weather to assess potential risks to you by participating, and (d) evaluate other prospective event participants and to use your own judgment to determine their suitability for the event and how their participation may affect you.
All participants are encouraged and expected to:
- honestly assess your skills to ensure each activity is within your ability
- assess your prospective fellow event participants
- accept responsibility for your own safety and comfort
- do your share of any teamwork involved
- share your ideas for situation assessment before and during an event
- speak up if you're having a problem
- speak up if you question what's going on or something that is being done, no matter who's doing it
- have all of the clothing, equipment and any other special items needed for the activity
- inform the event organizer or other designated participant if you are using medication (prescribed or otherwise) or have any medical condition that may affect your full participation in the event
- on any biking, canyoneering; or, river event that is class II difficulty or higher, wear a helmet, no exceptions
- have fun