It's the Holiday - Let's Go Boating
~~~Eagle River near Vail ~~~
class II-III (1 short class III rapid at higher water)
Inflatable kayaks will be perfect for this low water run, rafts good too.
Canoes (with inflation and experienced paddlers), WW kayakers looking for a mellow day on the water.
Let's go celebrate the 4th with some fun in the sun and on the water.
If coming from GJ, meet at Palisade Park n Ride at 8 AM. Plan to be gone all day.
The drive to the put-in at the Edwards Treatment Plant is 118 miles from GJ, <=2 hours drive.
If you are not caravaning/ carpooling, meet at the Wilcott BLM pull out , just a mile past the town of Wilcott at the Colorado River at 10 AM. We will meet at the TAKE-OUT then drive together to the put-in, at the Edwards Treatment Center, near Edwards.
- Boat of choice (IK, WW kayak, raft <preferably 14' or less>) & paddles/oars
- Helmet (we may not wear them much but please at least have it in the boat)
- PFD - personal flotation device or lifejacket
- Splash protection - paddle jacket, rain clothes, wet suit, etc.
- River shoes - sandals with rear heel straps or old sneakers, etc
- Sun protection - broad brimmed hat, long sleeve shirt, sun screen, etc.
- Lunch & drinking water (please limit or restrict consuming adult beverages on the river. I know you are all adults and will do what you think is right for you.)
- Beverages & treats in the cooler in the car for after the river
- Dry clothes & shoes in the car
Please state in your RSVP what boat you will be bringing and if you have room for any passengers, paddlers or . . .
If you need to be a passenger, please be sure you do something nice for those who provide you boat space. It is OK to be a passenger a few times; but, please start thinking about renting, borrowing or buying after you have been on someone else's boat 3 or 4 times (unless they are your significant other???).
If you KNOW your dog is OK on moving water in the boat you will be in today, then OK. Please do not make today FIDO's 1st trip to the river. Try him/her out on the GJ or Montrose town runs first, please.
As long as they are properly geared up, SURE bring them along, on your own boat.
Doug Van Etten [masked]