Via Ferrata in Telluride
Here is a good look at what the VF will be . . . no one should come if they cannot bridle their fear of heights.
EVERYONE – READ this about the gear. http://www.thebmc.co.uk/tech-skills-via-ferrata-equipment.
I am going to look over this material and fabricate my own from ropes, ‘biners, etc. that I have. 7,8 or 9 MM accessory cord; or, webbing - either 9/16" or 1" - will make adequate tethers for this event.
I suggest that if you want to do this, you MUST be geared up BEFORE the day of the event. We will not be jerry-rigging your set-up at the time of departure.
• sturdy shoes, comfortable standing on iron rungs and grippy enough for lose gravel ledges
• HELMET REQUIRED
• Climbing harness
• 4 or more locking carabiners; a few non-lockers too if you have them
• 6' and 8' pieces of 1" webbing; or 8mm or 9mm climbing rope/ accessory cord
• spare assorted rope &/or webbing pieces 12', 15' or so just for odds and ends of possible needs
• Dress for the weather - it is the mountains so 10-20 degrees cooler than GJ, afternoon rain showers are always possible, wind can be mild all the way to a howl
We should do the VF in teams of no more than 4-6. Therefore, if we get more than that . . . we may want another experienced climber to head up a ‘team’.
Time and place above from GJ. If you are meeting us down south, we'll drop in to Kate's Place 615 W. Clinton in Ridgeway. We can stop there long enough for coffee, tea or even breakfast. The ambiance and food are great.
We can carpool or caravan from there. Anyone who wants to meetup in GJ, Montrose, Ridgeway, etc. be sure to note that in RSVP. Post your phone # etc for easy communication.
Please note in your RSVP 1 sentence about your rock climbing related experience. This event is 'by approval only'. If I do not already know your comfort level for stuff like this we will need to talk BEFORE you are accepted to participate.
Post where you will be coming from and something about transportation plans.
Each person will be asked to voluntarily contribute $10 to be donated to the Ouray County Search & Rescue team.
Doug Van Etten [masked]
of Risk /////
Please click the link for this document to read. You will need to respond "I accept" to the hidden question when you RSVP. If you do not respond to the question you may not be considered a WSA participant for today's event.