HIKE Gold Star Canyon (BLack canyon scramble) then loop walk down
I'm posting this from my iPad where I do not have any photos or other fancies.
The hike will scramble our way up what I call 'the Gold Star Black Canyon' then follow the bench trail to the Orange Ear. We'll walk down sandstone slabs there and make a loop to return to the cars.
Should be done early enough for a Hot Tomato stop for thos interested.
• Sturdy shoes or light boots
• Trekking poles, optional but nice for many of us on the ups n downs
• Clothing for the weather
• Headlamp (or distant 2nd choice, flashlight, just in case we return later than planned)
• Leather or fake-leather gloves (part of descent trail is lose gravel where catching a slip w your hand could be abrasive.
• Camera (sunset could be stunning from up here)
• Small pack to carry it all in
• 15-30' of rope or webbing (those who have it, bring it. Others, don't worry. Possible handline)
Even though we park on a county road the hike is in the Monument so dogs are not allowed.
Doug Van Etten [masked]