Spring is around the corner and this is the first of four "Trail Thursdays" in March. These hikes will be self paced. Hike the whole trial or just a portion and don't be afraid to show up late (if you have work issues) and meet us on the trail.. If you are beginning or sustaining a hiking or backpacking conditioning program, these hikes are for you. Note this meetup was shamelessly plaigiarized from an earlier hike orgainzed by Andy Kucel.
Hike Serpent’s Trail
There are great views off the wide trail, and should be a beautiful star-filled evening as we return to the parking lot.
It has a bit of history behind it as it used to be the road to Glade Park, nicknamed the “Most Crooked Road in the World”. It is 3.7 miles roundtrip, a constant climb and perfect for those of us in training.
Devil’s Kitchen Parking Area, located just inside of the East entrance of the Monument, on the left side of the road. From Dos Hombres on Broadway, take Monument Road South for 4.3 miles to the parking area.
In the past, we have met at the Dos Hombres for trips inside the Monument to facilitate carpooling with people who have vehicle passes; please state in your RSVP if you’re interested in this.
- Sturdy hiking boots or running-type shoes with good traction
- Ice grippers are recommended since there may still be some slick spots
- Trekking poles can be helpful up and down hill as well as if there are icy areas on the trail
- Bring layers so you can start the hike cool and avoid sweating, then layer up as the temperatures drop
- Water and snacks
- You’re welcome to bring a pack stuffed with extra weight if you are training for WSA 14ers! FYI: A gallon of water weighs about 8 pounds
If you drive you may need to pay the $10 NPS entrance fee (fee station is usually closed this time of year by 5 PM. Many members have an annual pass and I’m sure they would be willing to drive you in.
With the exception of Mike King, no dogs are allowed.
Contact: Mike White at[masked]