*THOSE WANTING TO CARPOOL FROM GJ CAN MEET AT THE PALISADE PARK AND RIDE AT 8:00 AM
This is Doug Van Etten's birthday weekend so I'm inviting anyone who wishes to come boating in the morning and spelunking on the Glenwood Springs Wild Caving Tour in the afternoon to join us.
Looking at boating followed by some potluck lunch (birthday cake perhaps) in the park.
Meet at the 2 Rivers Park in Glenwood Springs at 10 am. We will get as many boats and people into as few cars as we can leaving most of the cars in the lower parking lot.
• This 6-mile stretch is considered a bubbly class II section of water. IK, rafts, canoe are all acceptable. We will probably be doing this quicker than usual depending on the time. There are options for those of you not under a time crunch:
• river edge hotsprings
• get down and go back up and do it again
If you are going boating, BRING:
• Boat of choice with paddles or oars
• PFD - personal floatation device is REQUIRED to be worn on any WSA boating event
• HELMET- bike helmet is OK if that is all you have. REQUIRED to be worn on any WSA boating event that is class II or more (this is class II)
• Dry bag or other means to keep spare clothes, snacks, camera, etc dry
• Sun protection- billed-cap under your helmet, long sleeves, sun screen, etc.
• Drinking water & energy snacks
We will need to be up top at the Glenwood Springs Adventure tram by 1:30 pm to begin the tour at 2:30. They provide all that is needed to go crawl around in the mud and the underground formations for this two hour tour.
If you want to go, you will have to call and sign up with Glenwood Springs Wild Caving Tour for the 2:30 tour. Right now Doug and I are the only ones listed. They take up to 8.
Cost is $60 per person for the spelunking.
If you are spelunking you will need to reserve your spot in advance.
• Spare clean clothes for after the cave (they provide coveralls but your clothes may get a little dirty)
• Rough and tumble shoes or light hiking boots, with rubber soles
They provide coveralls, knee & elbow pads, helmet and headlamp, gloves and any other gear needed underground.
Come on along for on the water fun AND/or Fun underground!!!
You are welcome to join us for one or both adventures today.
Let's be thinking about going out as a group after the cave for a beverage &/or meal.
There are inflatable kayak (IK) and paddle raft rentals in Glenwood Springs. If you want to come on the river but do not own a boat, check out renting an IK. They are fun, easy to learn to paddle, very stable and a 'best bet boat' for those new on the river.
If you need to rent, we ask that you drive to Glenwood early so you will be ready to meet in the park at 10 AM.
These boats can be rented un-inflated so they can easily be carried in the smallest of cars. There is a high pressure air hose for inflation where we will begin the river trip.