October 28, 2012 · 7:00 AM
Westwater Canyon Colorado River
River Rafting & IKs == Class III-IV
7 AM Sunday, Oct. 28th
BEFORE YOU RSVP CALL JOHN,
the permit holder[masked]
This is the 4th Westwater permit WSA has this season. All our trips have been run as 1-day and have been a blast.
While this trip is open to the whole group, first RSVP preference must be given to those with rafts; especially those that can carry passengers. This permit has 8 spaces now but can be expanded if we have more interests and the expereinced raft captains neccesary to pilot rafts.
This is John Kellaher's permit and he has run Westwater dozens if not 100's of times. At the low water levels this time of year, John suggests:
- rafts no larger than 16' and preferably no more than 14'
- each raft should be light on passengers to be able to make the entry turn at Skull Rapid
- he prefers raft captains who have been on Westwater before (but not required)
- this water level is highly recommended for experienced hard shell or Inflatable Kayak (IK) paddlers
If you are coming from GJ or western CO, meet at Starvin Arvin's at I-70 Fruita exit at 7 AM Sunday. Or, meet at the Westwater Ranger Station put-in at 9 AM. Please note in your RSVP which place you will meet.
BRING ON THE RIVER:
- Boat if you have one (please state in RSVP what boat and how many passengers)
- Spare oar or paddle, spare life jacket (Type III-V), first aid kit. Please state in RSVP which of these items you have/ can/will bring.
- Motor for the rafts after the rapids (this is optional and please call John if you have one)
- Wet or dry suit
- HELMET (REQUIRED on any WSA river trip of class III or higher. Must have tight fitting strap; we've had one fly off in a raft flip on a WSA trip.)
- Hats (both for warm and cold)
- Neoprene (or similar) gloves &/or mittens
- River shoes (preferably not sandals. They are not suggested by some experienced boaters for wear on > class III whitewater)
- Sunscreen, bug juice, bug head net, sun glasses
- Dry bag for any lunch, clothes, camera, etc. For a camera - double or triple bag it.
- Lunch, water
No longer allowed by BLM after March 1 this year.
John Kellaher[masked] or
Doug Van Etten [masked]
Resources &/or Reading:
BLM for permit and trip requirements
River use stipulations from BLM
Map of the rapids
Westwater related links (or not?)
Friends of Westwater Canyon