Westminster/Kensington ACIM study group Message Board › ACIM question *

ACIM question *

Kasha
user 43922802
London, GB
Post #: 1
Hi all.
Does anyone feel like they have a firm grasp of why God is referred to as 'He' throughout, in the course?
I feel like i'm missing something. All opinions welcome, cheers.
robbie p.
user 12883438
London, GB
Hi Kate,
The Course is written in a very judeo-christian language, hence the use of words like ‘Father’, ’Son’, ‘Holy Spirit’ and calling God a ‘He’. But the words are just symbols, of themselves they mean nothing, it’s what they point to that matters. They are metaphors of duality that we, who think we are bodies in a dualistic world with a God we think exists outside of us, can identify with, accept and understand. They are symbols of form used purely to help us eventually see past all forms to the one content that is our true identity and reality (which is in essence what forgiveness does). But Jesus knows that we are not quite ready for that, so he uses terms that we are familiar with, which aren’t mind-bogglingly non-specific, and that don’t scare or confuse us or threaten our sense of self. So God is depicted metaphorically as a loving Father and we His Son, whom he misses and weeps for and wants to come home. In reality there is no Father and Son, no Holy Spirit, no subject-object, no world, no perception whatsoever. There is only ONE! And anything outside that Oneness is totally unreal. A fiction. An illusion. A dream. But we can’t begin to understand that yet so Jesus reaches us where we think we are and uses words/concepts that seemingly separated minds who think they’re bodies in a world can work with, gently and without fear.

When i began the Course i struggled with these terms and in the first 6 months, in all my notes, i would change ‘He’ to ‘Her’ and ‘God’ to ‘All-That-Is’. But it soon became such a faff that i stopped! Eventually i got that they were just symbols and that you could just as easily describe God or the Holy Spirit as ‘He’, ‘She’ or ‘the Mother of all Chocolate fudge sundaes’! It’s no big deal, for how can you define the indefinable? The Course describes words in this way:
“God does not understand words, for they were made by separated minds to keep them in the illusion of separation. Words can be helpful, particularly for the beginner, in helping concentration and facilitating the exclusion, or at least the control, of extraneous thoughts. Let us not forget, however, that words are but symbols of symbols. They are thus twice removed from reality....” (M.21.1:7-10)

I hope that helps x
Soraya S.
user 109946992
London, GB
It helps me! What a beautiful answer...thank you for sharing :-)