Westside Science & Religion Discussion Group Message Board › Spiritual stories (Supernatural experiences this Wed. 2-17-10 at 7 pm)

Spiritual stories (Supernatural experiences this Wed. 2-17-10 at 7 pm)

This message board is read-only.

Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Group Organizer
Hillsboro, OR
Our next Sciligion (Science/Religion discussion) is this Wed. 2-17-10. We will be discussing the supernatural… is there any evidence for it? Do you have any ghost or Holy Ghost stories? All details are here:

http://www.meetup.com...­

I wanted to share some of my experiences. I don’t really have an explanation for it yet (well, maybe a partial explanation).

About 12 years ago I was a Christian and searching for ‘the filling of the Holy Spirit’ (for example, speaking in tongues). I was with a group of Christians at church who were seeking spiritual signs and wonders. For awhile (a few years previously) I had been seeking the ‘the gift of tongues’ and being ‘filled with the Spirit’ (speaking in a different language, heavenly or otherwise).

There was a group of Christians in a small circle, about 6 of us, praying over me and laying hands on me. This is when the experience happened.

To back-track a little, I want to explain that in my spiritual training I had learned that not all spirits received are necessarily godly, so the spirits should be discerned. We shouldn’t just let our body go to any spirit that came by. So I was willing and ready to test any spirit that might come upon me, to make sure it was godly (although not sure of any test, but just being aware of the possible problem).

So then, here’s what happened. As my eyes were closed and people were praying over me, it felt as though there was a tractor-beam (like in Star-Trek) coming down from above and scanning my brain. After maybe 30 seconds of this, suddenly the beam went away and it felt like a curtain was raised from my mind, so I could think clearly. Then I felt the impression of these words “Bernie, you know that feeling you had after you did those Christian TV shows? That’s the Holy Spirit!” I thought, “Oh, so that’s what it means and feels like to be filled with the Holy Spirit… I don’t have to speak in tongues to be filled with the Spirit. And I am (and have been) filled with the Spirit already!”

I’m looking forward to getting some ideas of how this can be explained naturally.
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Group Organizer
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 170
Here's another story of an experience of mine:

As a Christian, I liked to study and research some of the Charismatic/Pentecostal Christian ‘signs and wonders.’ Sometimes I would go up to the front in a healing service or some sort of miracle service where they would put hands on you or tap your head with their hand. Should I go down when they knock me on the head? I usually told myself not to go down unless they push me down (if I keep my feet planted) or if I feel like the Spirit knocked me down. Usually nothing happened.

However, I did get a couple of experiences.

On one occasion, I was at a singles retreat in about 1998. I went forward as usual. I can’t remember if I went down or not when they put their hand on me, but what I do remember is experiencing a very strong field, as if I was in a very strong magnetic or electricity field. It was very perplexing to me. I could easily see how someone might say it was being in the presence of God.

And then about two weeks later there was a repeat of this feeling. I was attending a Calvary Chapel church, and after the church service I went up to the pulpit area to talk to someone. But again I felt that very same strange electro-magnetic feeling effect… and I didn’t even have any expectations of it. And it seemed like the field was in a certain area next to the pulpit and I could walk into it, or walk away from it, physically. It was surprising enough to me that I don’t think I mentioned it to anyone. I may have asked another if they felt anything and I think they said no (vague memories now).

Those two events happened pretty close to each other time-wise, but I never got that electrical-charged feeling again, and I did go forward after that a few times in different churches. One time I went to a healer (who was on TV) to see if he could heal my eyes so I don’t have to wear glasses; unsuccessful.

I’m looking forward to getting some ideas of how this can be explained naturally, esp. as I no longer believe in god.
Gatogreensleeves
user 7112314
Portland, OR
Post #: 5
That was my church! Calvary Chapel w/ Chuck Smith and Chuck Smith Jr. I remember when they set up a group to go to Bali to witness and perform healings and cast out demons. I heard one story where a demon possessed guy “grew several times his size.”

Another time, Chuck Jr. told us about some famous preacher in England who used to cast out demons in the middle of service in front of hundreds of people. They would rise up from the pew and spin around and vomit, etc.. He would cast out the demon and get right back to the sermon. Can’t remember the preacher’s name…

As for my own experience, there have been more than a few, but I won't recount them all. Here's one from my journal (edited):

One evening, I ventured alone to a Workshop for the Gifts of the Spirit. I had never went alone to this particular group and I was an extremely timid boy. My friend usually accompanied me and he was the social butterfly who introduced me to nearly everyone that I met. His absence that night was sorely missed as there was not a soul that I knew there, so I sat quietly on the couch and waited for the session to begin. There were about fifteen to twenty people there and there was an informal feeling in the room. Luis, the teacher for the workshop (as well as for a workshop for ‘recovering’ homosexuals. I think he also led the Bali trips), was a pastor in training who was extremely gentle and casual. Just before Luis was getting ready to begin, I noticed a woman sitting across the room from me. She was in her late forties or early fifties, wearing all black. She seemed very intent on displaying a festive, sociable disposition- though there was something blatantly off about her- something creepy. Everyone introduced themselves, and when it was her turn, she stated that she was new to this church- although she never said who invited her or how she found out about this group, which was known only to the core members of the church. It was obvious that Luis was uncomfortable when speaking with this woman. Maybe he thought she was crazy. All throughout his sermon, she voiced strange comments (to his obvious annoyance) that would twist his words into different meanings. He kept saying things like, “Umm . . . no . . . that’s not what I mean . . . “ I became annoyed with her as well. Eventually, he asked her to keep her comments until the end of the sermon. I don’t remember if it was in this session or not, but I remember Luis talking about how Jesus said that the Gifts of the Spirit were like blessed fruit from a special tree- if they were not used, they would rot and die. To waste such a valuable gift was a horrible sin. I remember feeling the sudden fear of actually obtaining the Gift of Discerning of Spirits. I began to think that it might be better to be an aloof observer to such phenomena.
This was my second or third time at this group and I was aware that at the end of his sermon, there was always an extended prayer session that lasted about twenty minutes, during which, we meditated on the Gifts of the Spirit in our lives. It also gave people the opportunity to try to get in touch with these gifts and use them under the supervision of the more experienced elders. I closed my eyes and meditated on the Gifts. I felt unusually uncomfortable. It was difficult to concentrate. I was thinking about the woman in black. Something about her really bothered me. After some time, I opened my eyes to look at her. The woman in black was staring right at me with an expression of pure evil. A wave of terror flooded through me as I had never experienced- I closed my eyes again, horrified, adrenaline surging. A few minutes later, Luis ended the session and everyone began to rise. I opened my eyes again and looked at her- she was still looking at me. I was completely paralyzed with fear. Her dark eyes were fixed on me and there was a twisted smile on her pale face. She got up and walked directly towards me. I was nearly shaking. All in one breath, she said something to the effect of, “Hi, I’m so and so, I was a high priestess in the Satanic Church of such and such. I’ve had eight (I can’t remember exactly how many) demons cast out of me.” All that I could utter was something like, “Oh . . . really . . .“ Then I got up and went into the kitchen for a drink of water. I was thinking, “THAT WAS IT! THAT WAS MY OPPORTUNITY TO EXPOSE A DEMON! I HAVE FAILED!” I went back into the living room and she was gone. No one ever saw her again.
A former member
Post #: 1
I'm just a simple woman with a barely above average IQ, but I do know the secret to the Universe and
why we are here; to love one another.

I can certainly understand why a lot of people are turned off by religion. Some Bible-thumping church-
goers are among the most self-righteous, ignorant, downright evil people I've ever encountered. What
follows is my interpretation of God as Spirit, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the dogma of
religion.

I've heard that one reason people turn away from Christianity is they don't see how evolution can be
reconciled with the Bible. To me, that's simple. I know most people don't understand quantum
physics, (certainly not I) but one concept is easy: There is no time on the other side; millions of years
to humans are hours to God. Trying to figure out the entire idea of God in such simplistic terms is wholly
unreasonable, and honestly unfair. The Creator and Its Universe is something we humans can't
accurately comprehend, nor should we bother; it's not important.

My journey of spiritual enlightenment accelerated greatly when my 16-year-old son and I left Alaska
and drove to Florida in the summer of '08. It was in Zion National Park, Utah, in the heart of Mormon
country, that I suddenly felt compelled to pull over and photograph a non-descript dry river bed.
Examining one picture months later, I saw the ghostly faces of what appeared to be Mormon men with
long scraggly beards. It was many more months later when I also noticed the demons staring back at
me in the photograph. Some people don't see them, many do. I'll try to find a way to download it here
for you. Faces are top middle and far right, demons are in the middle and in the sun glares. Take it or leave it as you wish. I simply wanted to share what I feel is visual proof of the afterlife. But what I find truly miraculous is all the evidence of God that this photograph led me to research, most notably, synchronicity. In the beginning, I was fearful and faithless, which is exactly the time when the Universe shows you its support via
synchronicity. Following are many examples of it working in my life:

Later that summer, having snorkeled at Key Largo, visited the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, rodeos,
aquariums and an alligator farm, we were driving along central Oregon 101 and I was getting frantic as
I couldn't find a camping spot. I heard "have faith" in my head, and pulled into KOA. Several years
before I realized number 68 was significant to me somehow. It was the space number of the trailer I
owned in Juneau, Alaska, my height and showed up in other ways. At the KOA that night we got the
absolute last spot available...space #68.

One day when I was struggling trying to reconcile the reality of God, I walked into a thrift store and
was immediately drawn to a small book titled "Your Journey." When I picked it up, the band Journey
came on the radio singing, "Don't Stop Believing." Later my son and I watched "The Secret Lives of
Bees," then I read the short book to him and I came to this excerpt: "The flight of the honeybee will
be yours as you seek the nectar of what brings sweetness to your daily life."

My son was playing football with his friends when one asked for a glass of water, so I got him one,
then another. Days later, I was listening to Rick Warren's "A Purpose-Driven Life" and it said in
heaven, God would praise one for bringing a child a glass of water.

I was stretching sore muscles when I read, "The keys to our freedom are always within reach, if only
we stretch."

My greatest encounter with divine intervention was when my truck battery died at Wal-Mart. The first
old guy I asked for a jump said ok, then drove off fast without helping me. The second guy did jump it,
then I got only to the other side of the parking lot before it died again. The third man I asked jumped it,
and it died again. He then offered to follow me to Costco where my battery was under warranty, but it
kept dying. That kind man displayed incredible patience and went way out of his way as the truck died
in the middle of road several more times before I finally parked it and he removed my battery and drove
me four miles to Costco. On the way there, we began to talk and I told him I'd gone to Mt. Hood
Community College. So did he - to become a pastor, something he'd wanted to be since he was in
grade school. He had not pursued it because of the low income. After I'd gotten a new battery, he
drove me back and put it in. All of this took about an hour. I found it curious that his little white dog in
the car was named Chase, the same as my son who was waiting with the truck. As he refused
payment, I asked the man for his name and address so I could send him one of the dream catchers I
make for his trouble. I was slowly stunned when I saw his last name was Stiller, because just that
morning I had watched "Keeping The Faith" with Ben Stiller.

I've often sensed spirits around me. One day it was a bit much, so I said aloud, "You have to stop; I
can feel you." I turned on the radio and heard, "There are spirits in the material world…"

I was thinking about spirits another day and turned on the radio. It played, "I'm just a soul whose
intention is good, oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood." Later a song sang, "Someday, we'll
be together."

Another time I was feeling scared and insecure and turned on the radio to hear "...the spirit in the
sky.."

I reached for the radio, but first said aloud, "Do you have a message for me?" The song that came on
sang "Sister Christian..."

At the coast I'd picked up some gray ocean-smoothed pebbles. I had one drying outside because I'd
sprayed it with clear polish to make it black. Just as I stooped to pick it up, the taped book I was
listening to said one of the character's names, a Chinese woman, translated into "Round Pebble." I
now call it my God-rock and keep it next to my bed.

- conclusion in following post -

A former member
Post #: 2
- Conclusion of Synchroncity -

Trying to make sense of that Zion photo sent me to read so many profound books with one thing in
common: A belief in a higher power. I read Dr. Wayne Dyer, Louise Hay, John Edward, Slyvia Browne, Deepak Chopra, Brian Weiss, "A Course in Miracles" and "Tracks In The Psychic Wilderness," by Dale E. Graff, 70s director of Stargate, a project to use psychics in warfare. His unexpected personal response to me in an email was this:

"Since my background is in the natural sciences, I consider psi to be a neutral phenomenon that has field-like or holographic-like, characteristics. This “field” is ubiquitous and everywhere, similar to a gravity field being everywhere throughout the expanding universe. This psi field, in my view, is basically an information field (or source) that “exists.” It can be potentially accessed by anyone through unknown processes within our Mind which I consider as greater than the brain (our “small” mind). This hypothetical psi field can also be accessed by essences (spirits?) in other domains or dimensions. Its reach goes beyond our conventional 3 – D space-time domain or dimension. So I am not sure if psi or a psi field is the result of essences of God/Spirit/Universal Power, or is something pre-existent that can be accessed by an independent transcendental aspect of the universe(s). Words like God, Spirit and Universal Power are difficult to define or even conceive, so it is equally difficult to imagine what is meant by “essence of ---.” For psi, we can at least explore its information potentials. How far can we go beyond that is speculation….but nevertheless, interesting to pursue. It may be that the so-called physical aspects of the universe, such as gravity, are an “essence” of something that we can also define in a universal power context. If we do this, then we are perceiving the universe in a sense where everything is an essence of Spirit; gravity, psi, you, me…etc. Regards, Dale E. Graff"

In "Synchronicity & You," Frank Joseph sums it all up well: "The likelihood of free will grows
questionable. Synchronicity is the tear in the veil, the revealing connection between that
Otherworld...the answers we learn from meaningful coincidence might very well force us to radically
revise notions about existence itself."

He went on: "He relaxed in a kind of spiritual certainty. He felt a tangible connection leading from the
innermost part of himself to something beyond reason...he lapsed into a gentle, reassuring feeling,
almost a settling of the soul. It had transformed him into a being of utter trust in the purposefulness of
the universe. He walked through the world with serene confidence in himself and a compassion for all
his fellow creatures who were no less interconnected to the same cosmic guidance that had directed
him."

On Oct 1, 2009, my horoscope read, "You must tune into your highest Self, regard your intuition as a master guide, and walk the path of personal truth. You’ll learn to stop fighting the natural flow, and to allow divine guidance to lead the way. Spiritual grounding is also possible as you learn to stop fearing your intuition and to trust what you cannot see, feel or touch, but know in your heart is real. From now until April 7th you will get a glimpse of the lessons Saturn is preparing you to learn. After July 21st 2010 Saturn will begin teaching you these lessons in earnest until October 2012." There's that scary omen year of 2012; I know, horoscope bullcrap, right? No, I don't believe so. I know the alignments and positions of the planets are tools God uses to guide us. The very first page of the Bible in Genesis says, "The sun and the moon and the stars are for seasons and for signs."

Somewhere I read, "The Universe often speaks through synchronicities – pay attention to and follow
any 'coincidences' that appear." In the "Celestine Prophecy" a woman was explaining to a man about it
all. She said, "Have you been experiencing synchronicity?" He said, "Yes, how did you know?" She
said, "That's how it starts."

As I progress on my journey, gone is all my fearful anxiety; in its place is God's peaceful certainty. I feel I must keep learning...so I can teach others. I've put a lot of energy into this message for you all because I hope you can begin to see the inherent truth of my words and findings and to share your own miracles, and to begin to live for others - and for the Holy Ghost, Great Spirit, or whatever name you'd like to call your Creator.

A former member
Post #: 2
My journey of spiritual enlightenment accelerated greatly when my 16-year-old son and I left Alaska
and drove to Florida in the summer of '08. It was in Zion National Park, Utah, in the heart of Mormon
country, that I suddenly felt compelled to pull over and photograph a non-descript dry river bed.
Examining one picture months later, I saw the ghostly faces of what appeared to be Mormon men with
long scraggly beards. It was many more months later when I also noticed the demons staring back at
me in the photograph. Some people don't see them, many do. I'll try to find a way to download it here
for you. Faces are top middle and far right, demons are in the middle and in the sun glares. Take it or leave it as you wish. I simply wanted to share what I feel is visual proof of the afterlife. But what I find truly miraculous is all the evidence of God that this photograph led me to research, most notably, synchronicity. In the beginning, I was fearful and faithless, which is exactly the time when the Universe shows you its support via

I would like to see that photo.
Ryan S.
user 9323995
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 51

I've had a series of what might be called spiritual or numinous experiences in the course of my life as well. Generally they occur in silence and solitude and rarely involve other people.

Such things fascinate me and I'm grateful that they happen but I don't claim that they are evidence of anything- certainly not the accuracy of any particular book or religion.

Gatogreensleeves
user 7112314
Portland, OR
Post #: 6

Such things fascinate me and I'm grateful that they happen but I don't claim that they are evidence of anything- certainly not the accuracy of any particular book or religion.

Yeah, while I've posted one experience from a journal that I call "Andrew's Journal of Unusual Personal Phenomena," that is only one of two "Christian" experiences that I've had, while the other 4 (or so) are definitely not Christian or even religious, yet every bit as compelling to my mind.

A former member
Post #: 3

I would like to see that photo.

It can be viewed here: http://files.meetup.c...­

Andy
user 4516647
Portland, OR
Post #: 8
Kelly:

Thank you for sharing your story and your photo, but before jumping to any conclusions regarding these events as being proof of anything, perhaps it would be beneficial to explore all possible explanations for what you experienced.

One phenomenon is called pareidolia, which can be described as the brain's tendency to see patterns (Usu. faces, human figures, etc) within otherwise unremarkable images and objects.

Here are a few links that may interest you...

http://en.wikipedia.o...­
http://www.skepdic.co...­
http://www.weird-ency...­