Westside Science & Religion Discussion Group Message Board › Spiritual stories (Supernatural experiences this Wed. 2-17-10 at 7 pm)

Spiritual stories (Supernatural experiences this Wed. 2-17-10 at 7 pm)

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 6
Not that this settles anything anywhere once-and-for-all...but to add for consideration...

...James Fowler's "Stages of Faith," as well as the works of many other independent developmentalists show that our capacities to interpret our experiences are always trying to grow through many stage-like patterns of change. I would even go as far to say that similar patterns in scripture suggest that someone ancient may have somehow agreed with the developmentalists.

"Purification of faith," for example, perhaps having a lot to do with the extra-ordinary wisdom of preparing for, and actively living into, how our view of God and self and reality changes profoundly many times in life.

This seems somewhere near or at the heart of original moral wisdom behind the best in religions...as if it did not take very many eras of humanity for elders to learn that if children are not helped to develop through life's natural punctuation marks, we grow old anyway, can even gain power over others and cause generations of unnecessary suffering.

Like how there is the very wise childlike humility and curiosity in the eyes of Saint Nick, Gandalf, or a Hopi Elder...then there is the childish oppression, impulsiveness, and greed of magical-thinking tyrants and crusading pharoahs.

Every life naturally has profound and confusing experiences, but one interpretation of a dream, for example, could lead to the slaughter of millions...while a similar dream interpreted by another could lead to their emancipation.

Perhaps an important part of "original religion" may have been a natural experiment in trying to replace selfish old fools with wise elders...due to the very different ways they interpret the same kinds of experiences...and act on their interpretations.
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for sharing the photo, it is indeed interesting. To me it has fascinating colors but I don't see any human figures or faces of people in it. I would have to force myself to read faces/figures into the photo. To me it looks like the camera's lens took in some light directly from the sun (creating a type of glare and causing the film [or digital sensor] to be exposed unevenly) and that as a result unusual color spots appear in the photo. For example the top of the photo has a big white spot, but I do not think it is a cloud, instead I think that area was intensely lit by the sun and a portion of the sun might even be seen in that spot. On the left side of the photo some light rays seem to stream from the white spot. A lot of time when I have taken photos I have seen unusual color spots on my photos.
A former member
Post #: 5
I think the most convincing spot in the photo in support of your interpretation, is the spot you circled closest to the center of the photo, but it is not convincing enough for me. It could simply be the pattern of the leaves showing through the color spots, but that is just my opinion.
Gatogreensleeves
user 7112314
Portland, OR
Post #: 7
I've been working on a pareidolia photography project for the last three years that I call The Secret History of Shadows. I take literally thousands of digital pictures of the shadows/colored light (from flowers outside) on the textured ceiling above my bedroom window over the course of a year and do minimal enhancement (brightness, trim, the rare color alteration, etc.- but no altering of the form in any way). I have seen amazing things, including full scenes that look like classical paintings. I select about 20 of the best at the end of the year for a show. Here are some samples (with "decoded" versions as well): http://s87.photobucke...­
Bernie D.
BernieDehler
Group Organizer
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 173
I've been working on a pareidolia photography project for the last three years that I call The Secret History of Shadows. I take literally thousands of digital pictures of the shadows/colored light (from flowers outside) on the textured ceiling above my bedroom window over the course of a year and do minimal enhancement (brightness, trim, the rare color alteration, etc.- but no altering of the form in any way). I have seen amazing things, including full scenes that look like classical paintings. I select about 20 of the best at the end of the year for a show. Here are some samples (with "decoded" versions as well): http://s87.photobucke...­

Interesting. It would be more profitable to do the experiments on toasted cheese sandwiches or pancakes, so if you come up with a face of Jesus, Mary, or a saint you could sell it on ebay. You could make a lot of money!

RE:
http://ezinearticles....­

Excerpt:
He posted the alleged Holy Pancake on eBay with an opening bid of $500. The bidding reached $14,999.00 before the listing was removed for violating eBay's listing rules.

Another story and application:
http://www.cooltoast....­
Ryan S.
user 9323995
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 53

Again, I have absolutely no problem acknowledging that wonderful things occur all around us that confound our common understanding. I've had pseudo-spiritual experiences myself and also have witnessed the odd medical miracle.

I simply appreciate and enjoy these things. I don't see how they are proof of anything except the limitations of human perception.