Oct 27, 2012 · 11:15 AM
This location is shown only to members
Last October I planned this foliage viewing paddle and the very day it was scheduled to happen we had a freak storm that left us with 4 inches of snow -- no paddling that day. And then it barely snowed the rest of the winter when I wanted to go snowboarding and snowshoeing. Go figure!
Let's try this again ... let's have an easy paddle on the Princeton section of the scenic D&R Canal State Park to view the spectacular bright reds, deep yellows, and the rest of the spectrum of Autumn foliage hues. Choose either a two-person canoe, or a single or two-person kayak to paddle -- either way you will have an enjoyable day on the water. This is an easy trip on flat water and is suitable for the beginner paddler.
First hour $15 - $18 (three person); Additional hours $8; All day $45
Kayaks (1 Person, rate varies depending on boat size)
First hour $12 - $15; Additional hours $5 - $6; All day $25 - $30
Kayak (2 Person)
First hour $18; Additional hours $6; All day $40
*Note: only cash or checks are accepted, no credit cards
All rates include sales tax and paddles, seat cushions, and PFD's (life vests). Note, if we have enough rentals we may be able to negotiate a lower rate.
We all need to sign this liability waiver HERE. You can print and fill it out beforehand to save a bit of time.
The Important Stuff …
- This is an easy paddle on flat water, suitable for beginners. It is a physical activity though so if the only exercise you've been getting is lifting a fork to your lips then this might not be the meetup for you.
- Distance and time on the water will be decided by the group but expect to be paddling for several hours.
- Dress for the weather and physical activity, which means layering and comfortable clothes (preferably non cotton). Wear clothing and footwear that you wouldn't mind getting a little wet, just in case.
- Bring lunch/snacks and something to drink, we'll be on the water for several hours.
- RSVP only if you seriously plan to attend as space is limited. If you RSVP and I notice that you have a number of no shows or have a history of last minute cancellations, you will be removed.
- I will distribute my mobile phone number to the confirmed RSVPs two days before the event. Do not leave home without it.
- Rain cancels the meetup. Check your email the evening before for last minute updates.
- Sorry, no guests allowed.
How to Get There ...
Take New Jersey Transit from NYC Penn Station to Princeton (transfer trains in Princeton Junction). Take the 9:14 AM train from Penn that arrives in Princeton at 10:42. The canoe rental is a 10 minute walk from the train station, down Alexander Street. Train fare is $16.50 each way. We will meet at the canoe/kayak rental registration desk.
Take Route 1 to Princeton, and turn onto Alexander Rd, headed towards Princeton. Proceed 1/2 mile to the canoe rental on right (parking lot is on the left). We will meet at the canoe/kayak rental registration desk.