align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
I went to John's Jersey Dairy Friday, got some milk and started my first camembert style cheese. While researching milk I found this interesting site on the differences between the A1 and A2 expression of one of the milk proteins. Here's what caught my attention.
"It seems the black and white cows — Holsteins and Friesians — generally give milk that contains a small but significant amount of beta-casein type A1, which behaves like an opiate and which epidemiological studies have implicated in heart disease, Type 1 diabetes, autism and schizophrenia."

John and I had a good discussion on the topic. Which got me home a little later than I planned, so I was still turning the molds every hour at midnight.

Here's the website article...
http://thebovine.word...­

BTW, with John's Jersey milk the curds in the mold only shrunk down to 2/3 rather than the Holstein 1/3.
BR-- Erna
A former member
Post #: 1
That's a very interesting article! I

I have also always been amazed at how much higher my yield is when I use raw milk directly from our own goats rather than store bought goat milk.

Judy
A former member
Post #: 2
Oh man, i bet camembert from John's milk will be out of this world...triple cream without adding cream.

Interesting news...thanks for the link. Must say, I hope he's wrong though...don't want any new reasons to avoid milk...or cheese.
A former member
Wow. Certainly makes you think about one's ingredient list, does it not?
A former member
Gabe, I should have quoted more from the article. Not all cow milk is A1. Older breed cows (and goats) tend to have A2 rather than A1 beta-casein and don't have the ill effects. Here's the quote from later in the article...

"As you may or may not know, all proteins are long chains of amino acids that have many “branches” coming off different parts of the main chain. Beta casein is a 229 chain of amino acids with a proline at number 67 – at least the proline is there in “old- fashioned” cows. These cows with proline at number 67 are called A2 cows and are the older breeds of cows (e.g. Jerseys, Asian and African cows). Some five thousand years ago, a mutation occurred in this proline amino acid, converting it to histidine. Cows that have this mutated beta casein are called A1 cows, and include breeds like Holstein. "

John has had his cows tested because he has a client who wants A2 calves. Not al his cows are A2, but being Jersey's the chances are greater. Another good reason to use John's cows milk or goat milk for cheese.

BR, Erna
A former member
Post #: 4
Hmm...interesting that John has done the testing. Perhaps he will chat with us about it during the tour...