addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Wheyward Bound Cheesemaking Club of Sonoma County Message Board › What are you making from John's milk?

What are you making from John's milk?

A former member
Post #: 9
I'm planning on making a big 4 gallon batch of Gouda and a 1 gallon batch of yogurt after I pasteurize my bucket full of Jersey milk. What has everyone else got in the cheese vat?
A former member
Post #: 13
Just posted of pics of my project with John's milk---a giant wheel of Gouda made the morning after our trip. You can watch a slideshow of it here: http://www.meetup.com...­

I'd love to see or hear what the rest of you all did.
A former member
Post #: 1
Q: What are you making from John's milk?

A: I bought 3 gallons from John. I made a 'traditional cheddar'. I think I put too much rennet. Probably too ambitious (the novice I am). Did not knit well. I will just age it out and see how it goes.

Feeling like starting over (so to speak), I went back the next weekend and bought three gallons more. I did a 2 gallon camembert and a "Queijo de Vinho" (red wine soaked style). Very happy how things went. The milk is fun to work with. It is so much more colorful and rich than store bought.

I will put some photos on the group photo page (not sure how to make a new photo file.) - Montie
A former member
Post #: 15
Awesome, thanks for sharing the story. Robyn was just telling me about her thoughts on over-renneting as an issue in her own Cheddar making...perhaps you two should chat.

Camembert and wine-soaked cheese sounds like a great mix! I loved working with this milk too for my Gouda...very clean, plump curds and a huge yield. About 50% more than yield than I generally expect with store bought milk, I'd say.

Lookin forward to pics...
---Gabe
A former member
Post #: 3
With 1 gal of milk I made camembert and put mushroom powder in a layer in one round.

With another gal of milk I accidentally added 1 pint instead of 1 cup of Straus heavy cream and made camembert-style quadruple-cream cheese. It seemed to take longer for the mold to get a good cover over the extra fat.

With another gal of milk I made fromage blanc which I used for making cheese cake adding 7 farm fresh eggs, some sugar, flour, and lemon zest. Delicious. I'll see if I can get to John's and make another for March 31 meeting.

This weekend the cheese had fully covered with mold and I moved them to a cooler, less humid location--a cool chest (with lid cracked open and the drain plug open), with a block of frozen water in a closed container and no standing water. All in a tightly closed cabinet inside a plastic shed. This two layers of closure has worked a keeping the banana slugs out; they seem attached to the aging cheese.
A former member
Post #: 16
I read everything above, Erna, but all I can remember now is something about banana slugs....

I haven't had any issues with banana slugs yet...but i can imagine that any lifeform would like to eat such a decadent cheese!

Sounds like you are working hard on some fun experiments, and I for one would love to try some of the cheese cake.

Looks like I should be able to bring some of my new batch of "valencay" to the meeting, it is over 50% Jersey milk from John instead of 100% goat milk as usual.