addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Wheyward Bound Cheesemaking Club of Sonoma County Message Board › Flavored Cheeses Brainstorm

Flavored Cheeses Brainstorm

A former member
Fellow Curder Herders,

You are getting this email if you have RSVP'd "yes" to the October 9 Flavored Cheeses Meeting. I just chatted with Nicole a bit about the cheeses we want to make at the meeting. We are open to some more ideas!

The basic plan now is that I will oversee a large 4 gallon batch of curd---either cheddar or gouda. We can split the batch 4 ways into 4 different molds for flavoring and pressing. Nicole would like one of them to use Lagunitas beer since her husband Mike works at Lagunitas. So there is one flavor.

I like the idea of using some local hot peppers to make a pepper jack/gouda/cheddar.

What other ideas are out there? Any ideas you've been dying to try? Please help with the brainstorm.

Cheers,

Gabe
A former member
Post #: 1
How about a smoked version? Mary Lou Thomas
A former member
Post #: 25
Oooh, nice idea. We would need the ability to cold smoke. I know the Hewitt's have a smoker (The Big Green Egg), but not sure if we could channel the smoke away from the heat. Worth looking into!
A former member
Post #: 7
I'd like to see a chive and/or garlic mixture. Ideally I'd like to use fresh herbs, but I remember reading somewhere that you need to use dried herbs to mix into cheese. Any opinions about that?

Judy Pineda
A former member
Mustard? I had some mustard/ale cheddar a while back and have been curious since about how exactly they added the mustard.

Sage is always a nice addition too, although pretty basic and I've done it a number of times...
Cathy D
user 11998570
Sebastopol, CA
Post #: 4
Just a thought to add on the smoked cheese flavor. How about using Liquid Smoke? Everyone already posted all the ideas I had thought of, great minds etc.....
A former member
Oooh, nice idea. We would need the ability to cold smoke. I know the Hewitt's have a smoker (The Big Green Egg), but not sure if we could channel the smoke away from the heat. Worth looking into!

Hi. I have a Little Chef. We can try to cold smoke (cheese should be 90 degrees or less) or we can set up a separate box and vent smoke from one to another. cheese only needs only 2 hours to smoke
rick
A former member
Post #: 26
Here's a promising option as well, Rick. If we go this way, perhaps you won't have to haul your smoker around. I just found this product called Amaze-N-Smoker. It is a stainless rack that you fill with hickory (or other) sawdust specifically for cold smoking meat, fish, and cheese. The video shows cheese smoking...
http://www.smokingpit...­
A former member
Post #: 27
Perhaps we should get some herbs dehydrated ahead of time for adding to the cheeses.
linda c.
WhoopsieCheese
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 2
How about adding Apple Cider? It tasted great with the aged goat cheese.