addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Wheyward Bound Cheesemaking Club of Sonoma County Message Board › Amateur Cheese Competition

Amateur Cheese Competition

A former member
Post #: 43
Believe it or not...there is a competition for amateur cheese and butters in the Marin Fair this year!

Sorry for the short notice but I just found out:

Entry Form Due Thursday, May 17, 5 PM.
Exhibits to be received by June 3.

More details...
http://marinfair.org/...­
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks to Gabe's suggestion, I entered the Marin Fair Cheesemaking Event. Today (7/3/12) I won Best in Show. The winning cheese was a washed Tomme for which I also won a Blue Ribbon (first place). My spice rubbed Montasio (Mary Karlin recipe) came in 4th. My cloth bound cheddar came in 5th. In a separate homemade butter category, my cultured butter with Aleppo Chili Pepper came in third.

I was the only one from our club there.I encourage you all to try next year. There were 27 entries. It was a great experience. I got to meet a lot of hobby and pro cheese makers and it was great objective feedback.

Thanks to all those who gave me tips and ideas!

- Montie
Kathy L.
user 19076521
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 3
Congratulations! What a fun interesting thing to do. Maybe next year! Happy 4th.
Kathy Laurie
A former member
WOW you are amazing - off on vacation or would have been there to cheer you on ;) good job!
Nancy V.
HeadCheese
Group Organizer
Santa Rosa, CA
Post #: 1
The whole club congratulates you on this accomplishment. You are amazing and you are leading the way for us to all be better cheese makers, cheers to you!
Joan M.
Sambatina
Stinson Beach, CA
Congratulations to Montie. His cheeses always amaze me at our get-togethers. Let's all try to enter a cheese next year.
linda c.
WhoopsieCheese
Santa Rosa, CA
Congrats to Monti! I'm not surprised you won!

I'll mark my calendar for next year!
A former member
Congratulations - you are an inspiration to the rest of us - especially those of us just getting started. That is a great accomplishment, thanks for letting us know! Now we'll be bugging you even more for tips and tricks. Awesome job, Monti.
A former member
Post #: 47
Right on Montie! Way to represent! Wish I could have been there too, sounds like something for us to get more involved in next year. You deserve the recognition for all those delicious cheeses you've been making!
A former member
Thanks for sharing your success (and your samples!) at the 7/24 meetup.