Whidbey Island Freethinkers Message Board › Private agendas and hobby horses

Private agendas and hobby horses

Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 11
Many of us probably have what we consider to be "worthwhile ideas" we may want to "evangelize" [sell] to other people. If pushed too aggressively, such selling might be an irritant, source of conflict and irritation. So I am starting this discussion as a place for anyone to promote their own agendas and for most or all to ignore as suits. I'll start off one of my hobby horses in the next message.
Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 12
Banks have been a source of conflict and discord in our society. My wife and I have belonged to credit unions for over forty years, and consider them to be a worthwhile alternative to consider for your banking needs, from savings/checking accounts, to loans, to investments, etc. There are a couple of credit unions in Oak Harbor (I belong to one), but I have been involved in an effort to get a Whidbey Island Credit Union started. Progress has been glacial (to put it mildly), but there has been a little progress of late, and those supporting the effort need an (no money involved) easy to perform support action. If you are interested in supporting the effort, please email me through Meetup or at stephenkahn@yahoo.com. Thank you.
Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 14
In my experience, individuals and groups that "socialize"while working toward goals are often more congenial and cheerful than groups that just set socializing alone as a end. Here is one concern I have on Whidbey and would welcome as a goal. Cell phones do not work in many areas. There are a variety of reasons, but objections to cell towers seems to be one, and perhaps often because they don't look "natural" enough, or "ruin" the landscape.

These are judgment calls, but I think we should lean toward better cell coverage on this island because eventually someone will die in an auto accident or while having a medical emergency because they have no cell coverage. I would welcome working on having better cell coverage with the least possible industrial ugliness as a possible project for us secularist/humanist/whateverists to work on.
Wayne B.
user 56597772
Langley, WA
Post #: 1
I would also like better cell coverage but alas I'm afraid it is a matter of economics of the big "corporate" business world. Towers go where there are the greatest density of people. These towers can be disguised to blend in with trees etc. Of course, the Port of S. W. is in the process of selling land to put up a tower. Naturally, some NIMBY's were not happy about this.