Whidbey Island Freethinkers Message Board › Oak Harbor Meetup

Oak Harbor Meetup

Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 27
I am posting this all over the place as nothing seems to be quite clicking for my aging mind. You may see this as a Facebook https://www.facebook....­ and as a draft #2 for scheduling a Meetup, so I apologize for repetition repetition repetition.

The Whidbey Island Secularists, a fairly relaxed, perhaps aimless group, more or less initiated by me, has had one meeting in Coupeville and one meeting in Langley. I think it is time we had a meeting in the Oak Harbor area. It's a little difficult for me (living in Langley/Freeland) to organize this. One criteria seems to be "kid friendly." One suggestions was McDonald's. There was another suggestion for a park/beach area. I think the library might be possibility, perhaps coinciding with a "story time" that might keep children occupied. (Should be free if we are a non-profit use--details need to be worked out as how that is defined and if we want the hassle of setting up an official non-profit organization). I arbitrarily called meetings in Coupeville and Langley and they worke
d out, but I am feeling a little tentative about jumping this far out there in Oak Harbor.

Comments? Do you want to meet? Where? When? Children? Food? My phone numbers (please handle with appropriate care) are land line home (most used) 360-730-1467 and cell phone (not used that often and no reception at home) 206-697-9016. OK executive decision. As soon as three people agree on a date, time, location that I can get to I will call a meeting. (Main obstacle is that I had some medical issues, but I'm OK at the moment. Also, I will be out of state in October-November (though savage chickens are guarding our property, so be careful about trespassing).
Wayne B.
user 56597772
Langley, WA
Post #: 6
Hi Steve--Glad you are doing better. I am in Langley but getting to Oak Harbor is o.k. I would prefer the park/beach meeting site with perhaps everyone bringing their own lunch etc. 11 to 1 ? Of course, all of this depends on good weather. If that turns bad --switch to Wendy's etc. Open to just about anything. Let me know.
Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 30
I will be in Oak Harbor September 6. I have a busy schedule with a noon lunch date (with a religious believer of all things, but don't worry--I am not succumbing to conversion) and an early afternoon meeting at the library. I would be available for a morning meeting with secularists, atheists, humanists (etc.) Location?
Cindy A.
user 55579952
Langley, WA
Post #: 2
Yes, Dick and I can meet up anytime. Library sounds good, do they have a
seperate meeting type place? Whidbey Coffee has s seperate room where
you can close it off. We can meet anytime after 5:30 or on weekends.
Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 34
I think we have some action as far as getting a meeting going in Oak Harbor. Maybe if we are really fortunate, some Oak Harbor people will actually appear! (Sarah has young kids to deal with.) I will check with the library. There are some issues that need to be clarified. One issue is whether the library will regard us as a "genuine" non-profit if we don't have 501(c) status. Otherwise they charge. Also, is whether the room will be available. I have an impression there is quite a bit of demand. We might need to "punt" and use some local coffee shop or similar as an alternative. (No wonder there are so many churches! God doesn't provide that many pre-built meeting places.)
Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 38
I am pursuing a 5:30 p.m. meeting at the library meeting room in Oak Harbor. Hoops to jump through. I am jumping (a little tricky) at age 68, though I was not skilled at high jumping or pole vaulting at 12 or so (about the last time I attempted it).

I will be at a meeting at the library that day. We are working on choosing a book for Whidbey Reads. Last year it was about crows. I am trying to convince them to choose a book about the big earthquake and tsunami that is likely to occur on Whidbey in our lifetimes. The evidence is circumstantial but powerful (more powerful than the evidence for God, that's for sure). The author of the book is a religious believer. However, he seems to be an empiricist when it comes to practical details such as geology, so as an atheist, I will work with anyone who makes sense on mundane/empirical matters. The library is giving me a hard time. I am very stubborn, and not nearly polite and deferential enough for Whidbey Island, or even for my wife. I guess I am an empirical fanatic.

If I successfully jump through the hoops I will let everyone know.
A former member
Post #: 3
I have put 5:30 p.m. 9/6/12 on my calendar for a meeting.
Anne
librarianguish
Oak Harbor, WA
Post #: 1
Greetings! I've sent Steve an email regarding the availability of the library meeting room, and it is unfortunately not available on the 6th. The Friends of the Library will be setting up for their book sale which begins bright and early the next morning.

The room would definitely be available in the future for this group - it's just a matter of finding an open date and time - the room fills up quickly! Groups are allowed to use the room once a month, and it's not necessary to be a registered non-profit group. The main criteria is that the meeting is open to everyone and there is no admission fee.

I think the Whidbey Coffee option is a good backup. They seem quite amenable to letting groups use their small room. I'm not sure what guidelines they have (if any). Here's their contact number: (360) 279-8165

Looking forward to getting to know everybody!

smile
Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 41
As I've indicated on the first page, acting in my usual dictatorial fashion (gathered by my alert intelligence agency -- far more alert than the CIA, FBI, and NSA) and following the principles of of blitzkreig, I have scheduled a Meetup at 5 pm to 7 pm at Whidbey Coffee. (The library was not available. I think we might still plan on using the library at some future date/time during a children's story time. We can discuss this at the Meetup if parents show up.

Speaking of parents, this is as good a time as any to brag about my daughter, who goes by the nickname of "Toad," clearly demonstrating that atheists make terrible parents. Not only did I name her disrespectfully, when in her senior year of college she told us that she was engaged to her college roommate (female variety), I did not drive her from our doorstep (difficult to do as she was in London at the time), nor did I tell her that God intended for marriage to be between a man and a woman.

Anyway, as perhaps a sign of God's wrath, my daughter has been trapped in graduate school for about 25 years (with a little break in the middle) and she just called me to triumphantly tell me that she had been offered a job. (Obviously, God is falling down on the job.) She has been studying "medical statistics" (a discipline that involves so much calculus and other higher mathematics -- something she never studied as an undergraduate -- when she thought she would study nuts -- being the offspring of one, though at that time concentrating on chestnuts) that I am surprised her graduate work did not cause her head to explode. Anyway, she has been offered a job at Children's Hospital in Seattle, where she will help medical researchers make sure their work is statistically rigorous. Whenever she accomplishes something astonishing I proudly bellow "Some Toad!" which is better than "Some Pig!" A joke you will only get if you've read Charlotte's Web. PS. I have my daughter's permission to call her "Toad." If you come to the Meetup I will tell you why I gave her such a loathsome and disrespectful nickname.
Stephen K.
StephenKahn
Group Organizer
Langley, WA
Post #: 44
Eggs! Eggs Eggs! So far I have decided everything. Fortunately, nothing important has been decided. I have paid for everything, costing me a pittance. But we might need to spend a little money on something, so I have asked our five chickens, Big Mama, Moll, Lucy, Kate, and Blackie #2, to donate eggs for me to auction off. I am also auctioning them off to support Sno-Isle's Whidbey Reads campaign. I am trying to bribe WR into choosing my preference in a book. (The book is written by a religious believer, but I am a tolerant atheist.) I am planning to bring a least a dozen (maybe more) freshly laid omega-3-rich eggs, from very spoiled, very protected hens. These hens regard my wife and me as gods, by the way. (Not satisfied with being a dictator, I have promoted myself to being a god. It's a very Mormon kind of thing to do).

So. To raise money to promulgate atheism, humanism, secularism, etc-ism, I will (perhaps) auction some eggs at our Meetup. So bring money. Bring empty egg cartons. Be prepared to bid high. Be prepared to trust me (we are not a 501(c)3 organization and there is no accountability). Once we get a nest egg (yuk, yuk), be prepared to debate for hours about what to spend it on. Be prepared to go door to door evangelizing for secularism. Be prepared to start a campaign to call everyone on Whidbey Island at inconvenient times, promoting nihilism.

(PS. I will also unveil my unofficial Whidbey Island Secularists business cards, guaranteed to offend everyone, religious and free thinkers alike. Bring your "I am so offended" hats, t-shirts and secret decoder rings.")