Northern Virginia Whole Food Nutrition Meetup Group Message Board › Where is the best place to buy 100% grass fed beef/poultry?

Where is the best place to buy 100% grass fed beef/poultry?

Mindy S.
user 9739020
Reston, VA
Post #: 1
I read that Garden Mountain Farm makes drop offs in Reston. Is that the preferred farm for most members or do you have any others to recommend?

Also, what's the best way to obtain raw milk? I understand that it's illegal in VA, but there must be some way to get my hands on it.

Thanks!

Mindy
Sara T.
user 3140219
Group Organizer
Sterling, VA
Post #: 29
There are many other very good grass fed farms in the area. Below are the ones I purchase from and I like:

Chicama Run -- They are a vendor at the Leesburg farmer's market. They carry grassfed angus beef and lamb, pasture raised pork and chicken, free range eggs, and vegetables when in season.

Polyface -- They have drop points throughout the area and is my personal favorite for grass fed beef and poultry but they do not carry lamb or dairy and only come every 6 weeks.

Fields of Athenry Farm -- Free range meats with drop points in Leesburg, Broadlands and Reston. They carry some dairy including butter and eggs. My husband and I love their lamb.

Touchstone Farms -- Pastured lamb -- they don't do any other meats and you must purchase whole or half lambs. They will drop off to your door for a reasonable fee and is starting drop points in the area.

Local Flavor Farm Buyer's club -- You can buy Mount Vernon's grass fed meats from the club and the club also has seasonal produce and fruit offers from local farms.

There are also some private buyer's clubs in the area, but they are not publicly available or listed. Please send me a private message if you are interested.

We have the contact information for most of these farms in our Resources page at:
http://www.meetup.com...­

If you have any questions or if there's something you can't find, just shoot me a message.

Sara

Elaine B.
user 8817899
Reston, VA
Post #: 3
Hello,

We are Fields of Athenry Farm located in Purcellville Va. We would love to have your business.
We deliver to Leesburg, Reston, and Broadlands every Friday and would be more than happy to start new locations.

See our web site for our product list under the pre-order link at
www.fieldsofathenryfarm.com

We raise Pasture Raised - no antibiotics, no hormones, no GMO feeds Black Angus Beef, Lamb,Heritage Turkeys, Poultry and Fowl. We carry the same way raised PORK from one of our Mennonite Farming Friends.

Our Livestock is out ranging on beautiful pastures. Our chickens are meadow raised in Pa. - truly free ranging and not behind skids in confined penning systems.

Why PA.? Because we have a wonderful Mennonite Processor and farmer friends there that we have worked with over the last six years. My buddy Bill and I work closely on our feed rations grinding fresh local raised feeds at the old water mill that is 1 mile down the road from Bill's farm. Eli our processor is 2 miles down the road from Bill's farm.
Why is this important? Because it allows our meat chickens, turkey and fowl to have the freshest feed available - and the least amount of stress time when traveling to the processor. There are no Poultry processors within 2 hours of our farm here in Va. We don't want to be a jack of all trades and want the best possible product for you.
We believe the processing of the animals is as important as the time we spend raising them.

We work together with two local Beef farmers within five minutes of our farm - so we are working hard to support our Loudoun County Farms and neighbors with our philosophy of raising pure quality meats.

We work with one local Raw Goats Milk farmer within five minutes of our farm.

One Local Raw Cows Milk Farmer within 30 minutes of our farm.

We raise Livestock on Goodstone Inn in Middleburg, Va. Gorgeous, simply Gorgeous if you have never been!

By the end of June we will have available SOY FREE FED meat chickens, we are so excited about this as we have spent the last year working on getting the soy out of the chicken feed and getting the same high quality meat bird! We really look forward to your support as we have worked hard to fill the request of Soy Free Fed birds - now we need your support by purchasing them!

We sell our meats to ,South Street Under, Tuscarora Mill, Fire Works Pizza,Vintage 50, Wine Kitchen,Leesburg, Va., Magnolia's at The Mill, Purcellville, Va. L'Auberge, White Post, Va., American FlatBread, Ashburn, Va., Equinox, DC., Market Salamander, Goostone Inn, Middleburg, Va., and numerous Health Food Stores. We are a member of Westin A Price and we our known for our Chicken and Beef Stock.

We ask you to come visit us at the farm, meet us and get to know your farmer.

We are most proud of our Farm to Community Event held the third Saturday of every month (except December) This Saturday June 20th will be our biggest event of the summer and we encourage you to join us. See our web site for details.

Sincerely,

Fields of Athenry Farm
Elaine Boland
703-926-8444

Mindy S.
user 9739020
Reston, VA
Post #: 4
Thank you so much! I'm looking at the order form now and plan to place one for next Friday. It sounds like your cattle are 100% grass fed. Is that correct?

A couple of other questions:

Do you sell raw milk and other dairy products like yogurt? If so, are they unpastuerized?
Can I buy meat in bulk to save money? Maybe an 1/8th of a cow with various cuts?

Thank you!

Mindy

A former member
Post #: 2
I get all my beef, poultry, pork, and eggs, etc. at Fields of Athenry in Purcellville, VA. They have a lot of other good products like chicken broth and baked goods. I've tried a few other farms' meats at the farmer's market but this is by far the best and very reasonably priced. They have a few drop offs (I think one is in Reston) but I drive the hour from my house to go to the farm. Everyone there is very friendly and helpful (even the resident dogs are great!). If you have kids, it's worth the visit for them to see all the animals.

Their website is http://www.fieldsofat...­. Sign up for the mailing list to get the latest updates on when to pre-order and any bulk specials.

For buffalo, I recommend Cibola Farms. They are at most farmer's markets in NoVa.

Emily