I would call the National Poison Control center for advice. Phytollacatoxin is a toxin, a poison. People eat poke leaves but only (usually) after boiling in several changes of water.
See symptoms at
----- Original Message -----
From: "Allison" <[address removed]>
To: [address removed]
Sent: Monday, February 4,[masked]:20:35 PM
Subject: [Wild-Foodies-of-Philly] Pokeweed root
I hope it's ok to post a question to this list--not sure where else to
get good info.
Does anyone know about safety eating the root of pokeweed? My
mother-in-law dug up pokeweed roots last week and soaked the sliced root
in water for several days, stir-fried it and ate it. Then she didn't
feel very well. Would this be an allergic reaction or possibly poisoning
that needs treatment?
thanks in advance!
Please Note: If you hit "REPLY", your message will be sent to everyone on this mailing list ([address removed])
This message was sent by Allison ([address removed]) from Wild Foodies of Philly.
To learn more about Allison, visit his/her member profile: http://www.meetup...
Set my mailing list to email me
As they are sent
In one daily email
Don't send me mailing list messages
Meetup, POB 4668 #37895 NY NY USA 10163 | [address removed]