A word of caution from a neophite!
Yesterday, on our way to play kick-ball, we walked across the athletic field, which happened to be covered with wood sorrel, lady thumb, poor man's pepper, and broad leaf plantain (plus other things I recognize, but haven't memorized yet). We got there right before the mowers. So, I took the opportunity to show my summer school students some of these items. A few kids were willing to try. One kid compared the sorrel to the sour patch kids candy they like to buy. He also liked the pepper. We had a water fountain to wash things off.
However, one young lady who tried the sorrel said a few minutes later that her mouth was numb. I asked her if she had any food allergies. She said she was allergic to most fruit. I asked her if she had ever needed an epi-pen, she said once. That typically, her lips would swell. So, we watched her, for the next 1.5 hours, and she said that the side effects went away. I checked her right before she got on the bus.
I guess the thing to do with kids is to get a full 'allergy' release from parents, before letting them try anything. I didn't think it would be a problem, because I had eaten sorrel all of my life. She didn't show up today. I'm hoping she didn't have a reaction!