Wild Foodies of Philly Message Board General Message Board Entries › Looking for comments on leafsnap.com

Looking for comments on leafsnap.com

Lynn L.
user 6046027
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Hi all - A member recently told me about this technology/ app - http://leafsnap.com/about/­.  We would appreciate comments from anyone who has used it!  Lynn
Rachel A.
user 101943032
Cape Charles, VA
Post #: 1
I use this app all of the time for identifying trees that i'm unsure of. Not sure how it works with smaller plants and ferns, however it has been useful in identifying the trees as well as providing a brief description (which sometimes includes their uses), their habitat, bloom time, presence in relation to whether it's native or not, and pictures of the bark, leaf, and flower. What's nice about it, is that you can add it to your collection where it stays and you can pull it up whenever. Downside is that you have to take a picture of the leaf on a white background, which is slightly inconvenient when hiking or exploring. What I typically do is take the leaf with me and take the picture once i'm back to my car. Once you "snap" it, it provides you with a list of possible results. I usually can decipher which tree it is based off of its description and characteristics. I'm an avid user of it and recommend it if you're ever exploring and come across a tree that you must know more about. I will try it with a smaller plant next time, however, such as a fern, bush, or fruit of some sort and keep you updated!
Rachel A.
user 101943032
Cape Charles, VA
Post #: 2
Also I recently downloaded "FindFruit" which provides you with fruit trees that are in season up to a 100 mile radius based off of your location. All of my results were trees located in the city of Philadelphia. I know there are MANY more than what their results give, however it may be a worthwhile app if you live in or around the city. Once you've mapped a fruit and pull up its description, you can click a "take me there" button which opens up you're maps with directions. Once again, I haven't been to the city yet since I've downloaded it, but will keep you updated once I am an have checked the validity of the results. Wish there was a way to add fruit!
Chloe C.
user 61806372
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
Hi Lynn,

I've used leafsnap, and find it's a useful tool. However, u either need to carry a white piece of paper with you when u plan to use it, or collect yr specimens and use the app when u return home. Usually, it will suggest 10-15 different possible matches, and it will give u more detailed info re: each one, ie. flowers, bark, etc. I would highly recommend it.

Chloe