Windows Phone App Developer Group - DFW North Texas Message Board Nokia Outreach › A new year, and an offer from Nokia

A new year, and an offer from Nokia

Randall "texrat" A...
texrat
Keller, TX
Greetings all,

Ok, now that a new year is beginning I'm freed from my "no more emails" pledge.  ;)  Hopefully you'll all like this one.

I have a nice number of Lumia 800s on hand now.  Some I will give away in event and drawings & contests, some as individual developer incentives, and some as rewards to community builders.  But I will also reserve a small number for a local lending program.

I'm thinking a pool of 5 devices, with a loan period of 1 month.  The idea is that they will be loaned out at one monthly meetup and returned at the following monthly meetup.  I can be flexible on terms, but understand that we just hit 107 members (and have about 1 to 3 new ones join per week) and 5 devices only go so far.  If demand ever exceeds the available number, we'll have to hold a lottery to determine who gets one.

I realize many of you are still wanting Windows Phone 8 devices but unfortunately I have none to provide at this time.  BUT: I expect the 7.8 update any day now (sorry, I don't have actual inside info on this one!) and the Lumia 800s are still viable devices even without it.

Also, another reminder: while my latest "app accounting" promotion has expired, I extended my incentive contest to January 11.  I'd like to see these prizes claimed! Especially the backpack for bringing in new members.  Note that I will conduct a drawing for the app accounting winner very soon.

I will of course create new contests and incentives soon as well.

Thanks,

Randy
Dennis P.
CoderDennis
Celina, TX
Post #: 4
Randy, You've expressed some concern over not gaining more attention from the contests you're offering. I see you do realize that we're waiting for Windows Phone 8 devices. Just wanted to mention that I already have a Lumia 900 that I use as my phone. I also have a brand new Lumia 800 that I've never opened because I didn't have any use for it. So, winning another Lumia 800 isn't something I'm going to go after right now.

Looking forward to new contests though.
Randall "texrat" A...
texrat
Keller, TX
Post #: 109
Thanks for the feedback Dennis.

Unfortunately WP8 devices were hard to come by at first, but that ends next month. I will be receiving some very cool updates to my swag and prize collection. ;)

But I understand that some members of this community were annoyed by contest communications, so I will minimize that activity here and instead focus more on twitter and other channels of engagement.

If you have an unopened Lumia 800, though, maybe another developer could make use of it?

On a final note, I was somewhat surprised that no one tried for the "community recruitment" backpack. It's a very nice prize and I figured it would be an easy accomplishment for at least one person...