Chicago Women Developers Message Board Chicago Women Developers Forum › Maybe you've noticed

Maybe you've noticed

Melissa P.
MelissaFierce
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Hello ladies,

Maybe you've noticed the name of our group changed from Girl Develop IT Chicago to Chicago Girl Developers yesterday - but probably not because it was Saturday night and you were all out being awesome, so, I wanted to send this message and let you know what's going on in the land of lady coding classes and get togethers.

I got an email late yesterday that the Girl Develop IT organization was a little too ambitious is setting up GDI in Chicago, the founders really weren't prepared for the enthusiasm here in our fair city. They were a little worried that our having meet-ups that didn't involve GDI classes was not upholding what their guiding principals were, which is a fair statement, but really not fair to those of us who just discovered each other and are excited not only for classes but for fostering a woman developer community. Regardless, GDI has put their Chicago chapter aspirations on hold while they try to ensure that they can maintain the same kind of brand integrity they have in their original New York meet-up. I don't know when that will be, they are just getting started with the multi-city rollout, and we apparently are the first bump.

I won't lie to you, at first I was a little heartbroken and hurt by the news, but then I was all like "Mutha Fuckah - we are already over 100 strong in Chicago, there is no way we are abandoning each other because you aren't ready for what we got..."

So, the name changed. What won't change is that we get together for general mingling and support as lady devs. What won't change is that we find teachers and offer classes to women who want to learn. What won't change is that we will continue to grow and bring even more women into the programming fold and when GDI finally gets it's world domination strategy worked out we will welcome them a second time to the second city, because they are breaking molds and writing codes too, even if they aren't quite ready for what we've got here in Chi-town.

Codettes, Dudettes, Nerdettes, Ass Kickers, and Rocking Women, please feel free to contact either me or Girl Develop It with any questions you have. I look forward to seeing you all next week at our meetup at Thoughtworks, and then a few weeks later at our meet-up at Groupon. Keep your eyes peeled for both Ruby and HTML classes in August. If you can't wait that long, you can call me up and buy me a drink anytime, Lahd knows... I need one.

Filmaker, Risktaker, Sitemaker, and occasional Cakebaker

Melissa Pierce - Organizer