Chicago Women Developers Message Board Chicago Women Developers Forum › News Notes and Notable Womem - July 10th Edition

News Notes and Notable Womem - July 10th Edition

Melissa P.
MelissaFierce
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL
Hello Everyone, it's been a whirlwind summer for me and the organizing team at CWDevs. Teaching classes, working on projects and just plain working have taken us hostage in the heat, not that we're complaining, because Chicago's beaches were made for cooling off!

News and Notes:

Pycon 13 is coming up in March and has just open up for speaker submissions, you should totally apply to speak, worst that could happen is they say yes, and you end up having to go to Melissa's Pitch Refinery Conference in September to learn the public speaking skills necessary for your Pycon debute, which isn't so bad reallly, because if you use the code CWDevs to register for Pitch Refinery you'll get 20% off.

Sinatra class started yesterday, and from what I hear there were all kinds of sweet things happening there, including baked goods and intimate calls to localhosts. If you signed up but missed yesterday's session, your teacher and our awesome co-organizer Ri will be sending out follow-up notes to students later this week!

Our PostgreSQL class is only a few short weeks away, day one is August 6th, if you have taken this summer's Ruby and Sinatra classes and want to put some junk in that trunk or just want to learn about how to make and mold a database to do your bidding, now would be a good time to sign-up. (I know I'll be there, have you checked out my lofty database project idea Where are the Women?)

Have you donated to this indigogo campaing for BlackGirlsCODE? BlackGirlsCODE will hold programming workshops in seven cities across the country for girls of color during our 2012 SUMMER of CODE! If you haven't, you totally should. What a great idea!

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (that's the US Govt. Yall!) has a Fellowship in design technology, they just reached out to me to ask if I'd pass the opportunity along, the only caviate is that the deadline for the applications is THIS FRIDAY!APPLY! APPLY! APPLY!

Notable Women:

I ran into CWDevs member Julie Finch a few days ago on the streets of my neighborhood (any more Roger's Parkers in the house?) and Julie informed me that since taking the Bootstrap class a few months ago she's been getting paying work building in Bootstrap sites. - So HEY, Congratulations Julie! Guess this whole learning to code thing is working out, eh?

As always, send your news, notes, and notable achievements to mail [at] chicagowomendevs [dot] com and I'll do my best to round them up in next week's Tuesday post.