align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Chicago Women Developers Message Board Chicago Women Developers Forum › News, Notices, and Notable Women - August 8th Edition

News, Notices, and Notable Women - August 8th Edition

Melissa P.
MelissaFierce
Group Organizer
Chicago, IL

News and Notes:

WebFWD is Mozilla's program to support open source entrepreneurs who hope to transform closed markets and create new ones, focusing on mobile first. It consists of a three-month business creation program for startups around the world (relocation not required) including weekly training sessions & exercises, office hours with industry experts, ongoing coaching and guidance from the world's best technologists. Upon graduating, teams can qualify for follow-on funding from Mozilla - and they don't take equity! You can learn more about our focus and program at http://webfwd.org...­

• Etsy's offering another ten hacker grants for women during the fall batch of Hacker School.  So awesome.  You do have to move to New York City for a while, but if you are up to the challenge, I urge you to apply.

Conferences & Events

• The HTML5DevConf in SF October 15-16 - the organizer just told me they'd love to get more women submitting, this is the last week: http://html5devconf.com/­

• The next Technori Pitch event is Tuesday, August 28. Use our discount code for 50% off tickets using code CWDEV12
  • Pitch Refinery Conference is September 22nd and 23rd, and while not tech specific it is small business - home office - new manager - freelancer specific. If you fall into any of those categories and you are ready to learn public speaking, client pitching, negotiating, and how to talk to your board and investors, use the code CWDevs to register for Pitch Refinery you'll get 20% off. If you are interested in volunteering so you can attend for free contact Melissa at info[at]pitchconf.com.

Classes:

• Our HTML class starts September 3rd and will, as always, sell out. Be sure to register now and secure your spot. We will guide you through the basics of HTML and CSS using the newest standards in web design (HTML5 and CSS3), give you some readily-applicable skills, and answer any questions you may have along the way.
  • Our PostgreSQL class was moved to October. “Why?” you might ask, mostly because our teachers needed a little R&R, but also because we only had 6 registrants. For classes to be cost effective we need at least 12 attendees, so if you want to learn to make and mold a database to do your bidding, now would be a good time to sign-up. (I know I'll be there, have you checked out the lofty database project idea Where are the Women? I’m building with Ginny.) Nice thing to note too, PostgreSQL just launched a new beta, try it out. To learn more about why PostgreSQL is awesome, check this out.

• Python is on the horizon for November, Francesca is teaching, and maybe you’ve heard her say it once or twice, SHE LOVES PYTHON, so this class is going to be REALLY GOOD. If you can’t wait till’ November, check out  LearnPython.org­ - if you need help show up to Thursday night hack nights or join the study group at Pumping Station One, they have office hours every few Thursdays too.

Notable Women:
Katrina Owen’s gave a great talk at the Scottish Ruby Conference which was titled Therapeutic Refactoring it was by far a favorite of the conference. Check it out.

As always, send your news, notes, and notable achievements to mail [at] chicagowomendevs.com and I'll do my best to round them up in next week's post.