addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

WordPress Chapel Hill Message Board › New Meetup: Setting up a WordPress Multi Site Network

New Meetup: Setting up a WordPress Multi Site Network

Anthony Z.
tonyzeoli
Group Organizer
Asheville, NC
Announcing a new Meetup for WordPress Chapel Hill!

What: Setting up a WordPress Multi Site Network
When: Saturday, June 11, 2011 10:00 AM

Price: $20.00 per person

Where: UNC School of Journalism and Mass Communication
Cameron Avenue Carroll Hall - Freedom Forum
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-962-2017

Besides custom post types and taxonomies, everyone is talking about WordPress multi-site networks.

What is a multi-site network? Well, if you've ever set up more than 1 WordPress installation on your shared hosting account, you know what a pain it is to install plug-ins and update all of yours and/or your clients WordPress installations.

A WordPress multi-site network can now be enabled, so that a single installation of WordPress can spawn multiple sites or blogs, sharing a common network admin and common database. Now, you can install all your plug-ins in one place and either network activate them, or activate them only on the site/blog you choose.

You can set up multiple sites as sub-directories or sub-domains. Watch out, because sub-domains are tricky. You'll need to understand DNS at your host, which we'll discuss.

Want to map domains to each instance in a network? Otto42's awesome "domain mapping" plug-in allows you to map individual domains to each site instance. I'll show you how to use it in both a shared and dedicated virtual environment.

In a shared hosting environment, I'll show you how to create a "symlink" or simulated link pointing domains to your main directory. And, I'll also show you how to set up staging, development, and production environments.

This training is extensive and for intermediate users who have basic knowledge of DNS and can use command line tools to perform basic Linux administration tasks. This training is not for novices just starting on WordPress, but you're welcome to attend so you can see what lies in store for you down the road. It's important to know this, so you can get a head start.

Because this is a very complex training, I will be charging $20 per person. If you bring your FTP credentials and host credentials with you, we can break out after the training and help you install an MU instance. Please bring your laptop, as you will not be able to use the computers in the newsroom. I will request wi-fi access and there will be a guest password.

Check it out!