We've been answering a lot of great questions during our user Happiness Bar sessions — wouldn't it be great to be able to have a curated online resource section, that can be accessed any time, and that anyone can contribute to?
We cover a lot during our meetups and trying to tweet a link or Twitter handle for everything we discuss is a bit interesting to say the least, especially trying to fit it all into multiple 140 character tweets. Wouldn't it be nice to have an archive of meeting notes for later reference and allow everyone to contribute their own notes?
We only meet for 45 min - 1 hour, so we only manage to conceptually cover several topics. Wouldn't it be a great learning experience to get our hands dirty implementing the things we've talked about from the very first meeting back in 2012? Having a development environment, keeping a site in version control, professional site deployment, theme and plugin development, BuddyPress, etc. We'll have the opportunity to play around with anything we want.
We're relaunching wpgwinnett.com as a resource for the entire WordPress community, learning and documenting the setup and management of the site itself (step-by-step) as we go. Check out our project outline below, and if there's anything you're interested in learning or you're an expert in, join us. Anyone at any skill level who's not afraid to jump in and learn is welcome. It's going to be fun!
• Part 1: Getting Started, Server Provisioning
- hosting sponsored by Linode
- configuration management education sponsored by DevOps University
installing Linux, configuration management with Ansible, Nginx, MariaDB, PHP5.5, HHVM vs. PHP-FM, SSL + SPDY, server monitoring
*bring your computer if you'd like to follow along
*we are not experts, we are all learning as we go so don't be intimidated by any terminology you don't know
• Part 2: Server Provisioning (cont…), Installing & Managing WordPress
• Part 3: Pre-Launch, Writing Your Own Plugins, Integrating WordPress with external APIs
• Part 4: Adding Members & Interaction
• Part 5: Planning your Content
• Part 6: Theme Design & Development
• Part 7: Professional Site Deployment
• Part 8: Lauuuunch!