addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Lancaster WordPress Message Board › Bulk import content to a custom post type?

Bulk import content to a custom post type?

Greg Y.
user 40892262
Lancaster, PA
Post #: 1
Does anyone have experience doing a bulk import of content from a spreadsheet to a custom post type? On a site I'm currently working on, the client wants to more quickly import content into a custom post type that I set up to display products. The custom post type contains the main content area and some additional custom fields that need to be populated.

I just wanted to see if anyone has done this and whether there is a good plugin for that kind of thing.
A former member
Post #: 7
Yep, there's a plugin called CSV Import which works well, but is a little fussy about its formatting. You can set up the data in Excel but you have to add quotes around the field values in a text editor and strip out any non weird characters and non-UNIX line breaks. I've done it before if you need help.
Greg Y.
user 40892262
Lancaster, PA
Post #: 2
Thanks for the advice Scott. I ended up finding a plugin called "WP Ultimates CSV Importer" that I installed before I saw your message. This is the first time I've done something like this with WordPress, so I'll keep your recommended plugin in mind for next time I need to do this. I'm sure I'll run into this kind of thing again. The plugin I found seemed to work pretty well, but my client who is populating the site still has to go back in and do some content formatting to get it the way he wants, so I wonder how much time it is really saving for this specific project... or maybe next time I will be able to figure out more ways to streamline things ahead of time.