Maintenance, Security, Backups and Troubleshooting
Time: 6.30pm - 8:30pm
Where: Inspire 9
Location: Level 1 / 41-43 Stewart Street, Richmond
6:30pm - 6:50pm - Pizza, Socializing and Networking
6:50 - 7:00 - Housekeeping, Agenda & WordPress News
7:00pm - 7:30pm - Presentation #1
Presenter: Chris Burgess
WordPress Security - Hardening your WordPress website
Security is a critical issue when it comes to building and managing your own website. In this talk, Chris will cover the basics when it comes to securing your WordPress website, why and how attackers can harm your site and step-by-step instructions on how to dramatically reduce this risk of security issues on your website.
About Chris: Chris (@chrisburgess) has been working in IT with a passion for web technologies for almost 20 years. He enjoys working on his own online projects as well running his own business helping clients to get the most out of what the web has to offer. He is passionate about keeping up-to-date with the latest online technologies and best practices and also runs training workshops to help keep him on his toes! He loves regularly going to Meetups and also co-manages the Melbourne SEO Meetup.
7:40pm - 8:10pm - Presentation #2 - Q&A Session
Troubleshooting Your Site - Dee, Anthony and Warren
Some days you can do all the right things and still find yourself with trouble to fix on your site. Anthony, Dee and Warren will run a troubleshooting panel to talk through common issues you may find yourself stuck on and also be available to answer your troubleshooting questions, so come prepared!! Here are some conversation starters...
1. The dreaded white screen of death
2. Dealing with upload file size limits
3. Runing out of memory
4. Turning on debug and being able to interpret results from that
5. 500 server errors, what causes them, how to fix them.
6. When permalinks needing rejigging
7. Having to add FTP details every time you install a plguin and how to add the relevant defines to the config to combat this if your host won't fix your permissions.
8. Permissions errors, how to diagnose them, and what to ask your host to do to fix them.
8:30pm - Wrap up
We'll then head to the nearby Post Office Hotel for drinks.