addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

WordPress Hartford Message Board WordPress Help › Troubleshooting + Not Acceptable Errors

Troubleshooting + Not Acceptable Errors

Grace S.
bitofgrace
Broad Brook, CT
Post #: 3
(posting this on behalf of Steve)

Over riding my found phenomenon, I have a larger problem. Both of my blogs are now unusable. I doubt the reasons are not related to each other.

One reports, on a blank screen, "Not Acceptable" and the other reports that the data base is not available.
I have backups but wonder what is a good way to proceed and how to diagnose problems from the symptoms.

One of the sites is: CT Garden
Grace S.
bitofgrace
Broad Brook, CT
Post #: 4
Steve,
You may want to start troubleshooting by turning off all plugins and see if it resolved the Not acceptable.. next step would be to re-install the Wordpress core files, i'd think.

Database Connection errors though- you'll want to double check all your login info on your wp-config.php file. See if it still matches your logins where the database is living.. (i often have cpanel setups- so can test the DB login from there)

If you haven't already, you may want to turn debugging ON. You can do this from your wp-config.php file
Add or edit the following line: (have it read TRUE instead of FALSE if it already exists. )

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

You can group this statement right below the other existing "define" statements.
This will show some more information on the pages that are having trouble - if any info applies.
Steve A.
user 86715272
Wethersfield, CT
Post #: 3
This is going to take a while to decipher. CTGarden.Info site seemed to fail without my own intervention but SGA.Professorsplace.Info seems to have died by my own hand. I will post finding as they happen.

If I reinstall WP into the existing folder, will the new version seek out the database or will it over-write it? If I create it in a new folder and, in lieu of a backup that can be restored, can I copy files from the defunct folder?

Grace S.
bitofgrace
Broad Brook, CT
Post #: 6
Hi Steve,
Whenever you re-install WP or update it by hand, leave all files where they are and add the new ones. This will always leave your wp-config.php file untouched - which means your DB info is unchanged. (I typically upload to over-write all files except the wp-content folder since that is where all the themes, plugins and uploads are stored.)

Generally - if you are able to auto update from the admin dash- thats the most straightforward method, without having to fuss with picking folders- and doesn't harm existing content.

Your professors site is up and running today- any trouble in the back end?

How goes it with checking wp-config.php for the gardens site?

To answer your question yes, you can create a fresh install in another folder - but to move content you will need to export the WP xml from the original site (done from the dashboard) and import it into your fresh install.
(Just copying folders or files and moving them will not connect them properly to the fresh database. Connecting this new install to the old DB can cause permalink and root site address issues that you'd have to track down.)

-grace
Steve A.
user 86715272
Wethersfield, CT
Post #: 4
My some unexplained (I hate that) miracle it is working but once in a while I get a blank screen stating "Not Accepted".

CTGarden.Info may be out of commission for a while as I have two weeks to prepare to teach a University level remedial Algebra course. Does anyone here happen to have access to a text file of elementary algebra questions? I have been given resources but am still asking everywhere.
Grace S.
bitofgrace
Broad Brook, CT
Post #: 7
:) with my son i used Math-Drills.com and IXL

The 'Not Acceptable' is very likely a plugin or two not playing nice together so you'll need to turn on and off in turn to figure out which :/

The connection error is a result of login/pass/addy mismatch from the wp-config.php file versus the actual DB's login/pass/addy

Can't believe school starting is so frikken close already, Good luck!