WordPress NYC Meetup Group Message Board Plugins › Graphic/Photo Plug-in

Graphic/Photo Plug-in

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Post #: 8
Any recommendations on easy to use Graphic/Photo Plug-ins for WP 2.0. Like to add Graphic/Photos around my blog entries.

Cheers,
Steven
http://www.blinnpr.co...­
A former member
Post #: 20
I've been bedeviled by the image insert/text wraparound thingy for at least a month. Now I think that I have a grip on the available choices. I could be wrong. So, I'll be applying -- starting later today after a time-out on posting to figure it all out -- what I think I know to posts on my blog between now and the late October meeting.

By then, like Prof. Irwin Corey, I will be the world's formost authority.confused

-- Cliff
http:cliffsvoice.com
A former member
Post #: 15
Any recommendations on easy to use Graphic/Photo Plug-ins for WP 2.0. Like to add Graphic/Photos around my blog entries.

Excellent question. Image management is still the one aspect of Wordpress that is really suprisingly lacking in my opinion. I've decided that we should make this a topic for discussion at the next meetup. Between now and then hopefully some of us can track down and/or experiment with different possible solutions.

Steven, are you specifically looking for something to manage and stick photos in individual entries or to show up elsewhere such as the sidebar, between posts, at the bottom of the page, etc?

I personally experimented with Plogger and the PloggerPress plugin but found the plugin to have major issues. I'm not sure if it's been updated but I'll look into it.

There are a whole bunch of ways to integrate photos with galleries or services such as flickr or zooomr but there are problems with most integrations when it comes to ease of use for using specific pictures within posts. Sidebar images are usually somewhat easier.

In any case, I'll post a list of the different galleries and plugins I can find if people want to check them out and we can discuss our findings next month. If anyone else has links to plugins or integration solutions, please do share. smile

Ja
A former member
Post #: 21
I've made some progress integrating images (and videos) into text.

I'd be grateful if anyone reading this would take a look at the posts on my blog dated yesterday (the 22nd) and today. The latter has a handy comment form -- so please let me hear any questions or gripes you may have.

I'm most interested in what you see, that is, your coments on the form rather than the content of these posts. My goal has been to get the technology under sufficient control so that I can spend 90% of my blog-time on content. So far that percentage has been flipped like on an electronic voting machine, leaving me 10% for content. I feel that is about to change.

Thanks, -- Cliff
http://cliffsvoice.co...­
A former member
Post #: 16
I've made some progress integrating images (and videos) into text.

Wow Cliff, lookin like you've got a handle on that situation now. Very nice. Sorry I didn't get to post on your blog the other day but I did take a peek at it.

I can't say from the glimpse what you're using to insert videos since there are plenty of plugins to do it really. Some are more specialized, but for a very easy to use and very flexible one there's always Viper's Video Quicktags. Supports nearly every video format it seems like and has a new version coming out soon that's promising even more features.

As for the photos...

Looks like you're using the Photopress Plugin, yes? I've been trying it out myself. The setup could be a little work for someone that just wants to hit activate and have it work. It's nothing too technical, it's just a bunch of options to choose from that takes a few minutes. Also, I've found that if you have a quirky permalinks setup it may take a little trial and error to get it working properly. Otherwise, it seems very helpful. It's somewhere in between photo gallery integration and just photo uploading/handling. Pretty easy to use for basic on the fly uploading, resizing, thumnailing, and positioning of pictures within a post. It can also stick pictures in your sidebar, including random ones from your collection.

So how do you like it? Any rough spots?

There are plenty of other options depending on needs. There are a million Flickr integration plugins. There are plugins for plogger, gallery (1 and 2), fAlbum, and Zenphoto. I think I'm going to ditch plogger and the problematic plugin and try Zenphoto + ZenPress plugin. It looks quite nice. I recently saw another PhotoPress-type plugin but I have to dig up the link. In the mean time, I may look into adding iBox or lightbox integration into PhotoPress... I'll do a sample post soon if you're interested.

To round out the photo stuff integration, two more things:

1. For flashy albums and display, there's SlideShowPro which theundersigned.net recently posted some WP integration scripts for. He recently switched to using MonoSlideShow though which also has WP integration. Both of these solutions are commercial (though only $20!) and may be a bit rough on the beginner as far as learning how to edit all the proper files and what everything means. For SSP, which requires a copy of flash and xml editing, I'd recommend getting SlideShowPro Director which is a nice interface for handling everything for SlideShowPro (you need to buy both and still need a copy of Flash 8). MSS also requires some XML file stuff, but none of the other stuff. It doesn't seem to be nearly as complicated. Either way, this is just info in case you have use for such a thing... it won't help you posting single images in posts or thumbnails in your sidebars.

2. Lorelle has some good articles on photoblogging and the like (plus everything else remotely involving Wordpress) so you may be able to find some tips there. It's a good resource if nothing else.

3. Some people like using a blogging client such as Microsoft's beta version of Windows Live Writer to insert/position pictures and have it automatically upload them in draft mode and then edit the post in the Wordpress interface before publishing the post. That's just an example. There are a lot of blogging clients and they all work pretty poorly with Wordpress in my experience. Cliff says he likes the Flock browser, some people like the Performancing Firefox plugin, but even those have issues.

I'll have a more comprehensive list of alternatives to look at by the meetup. In the mean-time, let's talk about what uses we have for them... posting to single posts, having pictures in sidebars or other places besides the posts, or having our own photo albums/galleries online?
A former member
Post #: 9

Excellent question. Image management is still the one aspect of Wordpress that is really suprisingly lacking in my opinion. I've decided that we should make this a topic for discussion at the next meetup. Between now and then hopefully some of us can track down and/or experiment with different possible solutions.

Steven, are you specifically looking for something to manage and stick photos in individual entries or to show up elsewhere such as the sidebar, between posts, at the bottom of the page, etc?

I personally experimented with Plogger and the PloggerPress plugin but found the plugin to have major issues. I'm not sure if it's been updated but I'll look into it.

There are a whole bunch of ways to integrate photos with galleries or services such as flickr or zooomr but there are problems with most integrations when it comes to ease of use for using specific pictures within posts. Sidebar images are usually somewhat easier.

In any case, I'll post a list of the different galleries and plugins I can find if people want to check them out and we can discuss our findings next month. If anyone else has links to plugins or integration solutions, please do share. smile

Ja

Just looking for a plug-in that will allow me to add photos and logos in specific locations in my entries. At this point, I don't want to go feature crazy. Just something simple and easy to use. Sorta drop and drag.
A former member
Post #: 22
Steven,
The quickest, easiest way I've found to wrap text around photos, logos and a lot more costs $47. and is well worth it, imho. Take a look at WysiwygPro.com
-- Cliff
I plan to bring a sheet explaining what I've found for free and otherwise to the meeting next month. If you are in a hurry, I can email you a Word file with most of the details. cliff at cliffsvoice dot com
A former member
Post #: 10
Steven,
The quickest, easiest way I've found to wrap text around photos, logos and a lot more costs $47. and is well worth it, imho. Take a look at WysiwygPro.com
-- Cliff
I plan to bring a sheet explaining what I've found for free and otherwise to the meeting next month. If you are in a hurry, I can email you a Word file with most of the details. cliff at cliffsvoice dot com

Thanks Cliff. No I'll wait until next month. In the meantime I'll check out WysiwygPro.com.
Thanks,
Steven
A former member
Post #: 18
Along the route of that tool mentioned by Cliff, there's an open-source (I believe) project called Xinha that comes in different forms. There's at least two Firefox plugins that use it and there is a WP plugin for it. However the WP plugin seems like it may be a bit outdated and I've only tried one of the Firefox plugins. The one I tried wySUwyg is primarily meant for use with the StumbleUpon service but it has a nifty little feature to drag images, text snippets, and html snippets right into its sidebar to store temporarily and then when posting using the plugin you can drag those things right into the post. Unfortunately the plugin sacrifices valid XHTML markup and whichever way you go with this stuff takes a bit of extra setup for WP.

I have another image management plugin that looked like it may have some potental but I haven't tested it yet and I'm away until sometime tomorrow and the end of the week. It's unlikely you'll hear from me before then with a big deadline looming and bunch of work to get done.

Steven, I'm assuming you post from the standard online Wordpress editor? Another solution I glazed over a bit is looking into blogging clients such as Windows Live Writer, Performancing (for Firefox), Marsedit or Ecto if using a Mac... I personally have yet to find one that get the job done for me with Wordpress but most blogging clients have easy to use image drag 'n drop image placement and uploading.

Again, this is just all food for thought until the next meetup when we can really sit down and talk about how we like to do things and what we find works best.
A former member
Post #: 33
Ja and Steven,

I have tried all of the image add-ons mentioned by Ja and find them simply inferior to the Wy--Pro product I have mentioned and which has proven to be consistently dependable. BTW, I received a free upgrade last week and am told a major free version is coming.

I must sound like a shill, but I'm not. It's just that the distance between what I'm using and what is available for free is large.

I'm going to draft a review of this product this weekend, I hope. I'll pass it along.

-- Cliff