WordPress NYC Meetup Group Message Board General › SEO Question re titles/subject lines

SEO Question re titles/subject lines

This message board is read-only.

Allan P.
arp77
New York, NY
Post #: 3
I have written an article, likely to become a blog post, the subject of which Michael Lewis's wonderful book from 2003, titled "Moneyball"

Right now, the title of my article is a quote from the book: "So is This Guy a Rockhead?" which I like for a variety of reasons including the way it captures to some degree, some of the funny and also compelling spirit of the book.

But, can I use it as the title/subject line of the blog post without harming the article's likelihood of being indexed by search engines?

I am afraid that if I use this quote as the title of the blog post, it will diminish the indexing of the article. And it makes me wonder (and, on this message board, ask) if I should come up with a more utilitarian, self-explanatory title, rather than what I have now, which is essentially a colorful, sort of inside joke type title.

My question is: Are my fears based in reality? Or, can I title the blogpost as I please, with this offbeat title, and still be confident that people interested in the book, "Moneyball," the author, Michael Lewis, professional baseball more generally, baseball statistics, baseball strategy, the 2002 manager of the Oakland As Billy Beane, and the rest of the substance of the book will be likely to find this post? (the text of the article discusses each of these aspects of the book)

Thanks for your thoughts.

Allan
Mal M.
ironmal
New York, NY
Post #: 1
Right now Allan the phrase "So is This Guy a Rockhead" returns this post in a # 4 position on Google. It does not look like a lot of people actually type that phrase to begin with. There are no other web pages that use that phrase in their meta title according to Google. If you use that as a title and you post the article on a popular blog... because of it's uniqueness you have a great change of ranking highly for the phrase. On the other side of the coin, Google reports it's aware of 22,000 web pages that have the term "Moneyball" in their title. If you can rank on the first page for Google with some derivative of the phrase Moneyball or Moneyball by Michael Lewis or something like that you will probably have more people clicking on your post. Remember though that you are competing with 22,000 other web pages for one of the Top 10 positions with Google if you use Moneyball. In any case your blog post has an equal chance of being indexed as long as you post in a popular blog... the more unique title has a better chance of ranking higher. Cheers - from Mal
Steve B.
sbruner
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 32
Allan-- From my experience, when thinking about SEO you need to think about what people are going to search for.

• Are your readers going to search for: So is this guy a rockhead? If so, then you'll probably rank pretty high from what I'm seeing on Google TODAY (who knows about tomorrow).
  • Are your readers going to search for: Moneyball? Well, you don't have a very good chance of ranking high with that one. You're competing with every other site that wrote about that book, and all the sites that sell it.

So, my advice: write good content, decide on some relevant search terms and include them in the first paragraph or title of your post.

Steve
Allan P.
arp77
New York, NY
Post #: 4
Mal and Steve,

Belated thanks for your thoughts. Taking them to heart, I ultimately dumped the "Rockhead" quote as the title and replaced it with something more likely to be searched (the more prosaic & utilitarian "Persuasion, Selling, and a Baseball Renegade").

FYI, you can see it at http://sn.im/szy8t...­ , though its totally extracurricular. Interesting side note: when I posted this blog entry, I then announced it on twitter & FB, with a link back to it. My tweet was retweeted by one other twitterer: Michael Lewis's public speaking agent.

Allan