Paul V.
PaulVaughnMacGuy
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 52
I just finished Jeffrey Ford's collection of short stories "The Empire of Ice Cream" and now I'm several chapters deep into Mark Chadbourn's "World's End" which is the first book in his "Age of Misrule" series.

This book makes an interesting counterpoint to "The Lightning Thief" which I am currently reading to my son. Both center on characters finding out that the old mythology is real, but Chadbourn's is quite a bit darker. Good stuff so far.

Anybody else reading or recommending something good?

A former member
Post #: 63
I'm reading Supernatural Nevermore and RFK: A Memoir. I'm really loving the two books....one's nice and fluffy and the other one is simply amazing ;)

RFK: A Memoir
As one of the most complex, charismatic and controversial figures of our times, Robert Kennedy occupies a remarkable and paradoxical place in the American imagination. On the right he has been idolized by Rudy Giuliani and memorialized by Attorney General John Ashcroft, who renamed the Justice Department after him. On the left, his admirers say he represented the last hope of revitalizing the liberal tradition. But who was Robert Kennedy? To acclaimed reporter Jack Newfield, who worked closely with him during his last years, RFK was a human being far different from the myths that surrounded his name. "Part of him was soldier, priest, radical, and football coach. But he was none of these. He was a politician. His enemies said he was consumed with selfish ambition, a ruthless opportunist exploiting his brother’s legend. But he was too passionate and too vulnerable ever to be the cool and confident operator his brother was." In this haunting and memorable portrait we see what kind of man died when Robert Kennedy was shot. And what kind of leader America lost.

Supernatural Nevermore

Sam and Dean have hit New York City to check out a local rocker's haunted house. But before they can figure out why a lovesick banshee in an '80s heavy-metal T-shirt is wailing in the bedroom, a far more macabre crime catches their attention. Not far from the house, two university students were beaten to death by a strange assailant. A murder that's bizarre even by New York City standards, it's the latest in a line of killings that the brothers soon suspect are based on the creepy stories of legendary writer Edgar Allan Poe.

Their investigation leads them to the center of one of Poe's horror classics, face-to-face with their most terrifying foe yet. And if Sam and Dean don't rewrite the ending of this chilling tale, a grisly serial killer will end their lives forevermore.
Ralph C.
user 9648907
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 10
I just finished Fragment by Warren Fahy. A good read, even if tne basic story isn't too original. It's a take-off of Conan Doyle's Lost world or Crichton's Jurassic park. The creatures are what make it fun and it even has some interesting drawings of them. It is obviously written with a screenplay in mind and if they do make a movie it should be cool to watch Spigers attack!

Scott
user 2358695
Universal City, TX
Post #: 348
Sounds cool. I will take a look for that one the next time I'm at Borders.

For me, I just finished SPQR by John Maddox Roberts. Sort of CSI in ancient Rome, as told from the perspective of Decius Caecilius Metellus the Younger, a local vigile who discovers all sorts of nastiness and cover-ups...which only gets worse the more he digs.
Paul V.
PaulVaughnMacGuy
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 54
I never knew RFK was assassinated by aliens.
Spygers look really cool.
CSI in ancient Rome sounds much better than CSI on my TV.

I finished "World's End". It was pretty good...not high art, but fun. It sounds a lot like the author took his RPG adventure and novelized it. It really sounds like a great game scenario.

I also finished Rick Riordan's "The Lightning Thief" ahead of the February movie. Good if you read to/with kids.

I'm starting the next of Mark Chadbourn's Age of Misrule" series soon.
Scott
user 2358695
Universal City, TX
Post #: 349
Hmmm....well, a certain mechanoid with a novelty condom-shaped head and his three unusual friends assured me that facts will show that RFK from the future came back and assassinated the RFK of the past and then slid into a life of total anonymity under a new identity as a simple policeman. Wait.... That sounds just too preposterous. laughing

Now if they had said that about JFK I might have believed it! tongue
A former member
Post #: 12
I'm perpetually in the middle of several books, but always finish them one at a time, starting the juggling act over again. Right now two of my most enjoyable that I'm in the middle of are Hoff's interpretation of Taoism through the lens of a popular children's story, "The Tao of Pooh"
and the classic collection of Ray Bradbury's short stories, "The Illustrated Man"

Scott
user 2358695
Universal City, TX
Post #: 365
Murder Trials by Cicero (translated by Michael Grant). A Penguin Classics book. Basically it's Cicero's accounts of various court trials involving murders in ancient Rome.

Actual real trials, as opposed to a fictional story in the other book I mentioned.

Paul V.
PaulVaughnMacGuy
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 57
I just finished the last of Chadbourn's "Age of Misrule" trilogy. It was a good series. I recommend them.
Patrick C.
user 11149843
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 1
I'm a avid comic book reader. I've been enjoying collecting all the issues of the DC Comics storyline "Blackest Night" as well as Marvel comics storylines "Fall of the Hulks" and waiting for the upcoming X-Men's "Second Coming" I have also been enjoying the "Marvel Zombies" which I'm excited about Marvel Zombies 5 coming out in April.

Recently I've been re-reading classics, like some of the recent trilogy Crisis (Identity, Infinite, Final Crisis) from DC Comics. I read Infinite Crisis and then 52. Now I'm re-reading the Return of Superman the third part of the "Death of Superman trilogy.