November 26, 2013 · 6:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
This is a critique group for short stories and novels only. Meetings are every two weeks. We already have three authors participating and hope more will join us. Authors email material to the group two weeks in advance and then we meet in person and go around the table giving critiques.
Limit of 6000 to 8000 words per meeting that members are expected to read and critique. This is divided amongst submitters. For example:
* 4000 words each from Bob and Jane
* 2000 words from Bob, 5000 from Jane
Events are invitation only and you must apply to join the group.
Send a 3000 word sample (PDF preferred) to [masked]
Generally, new members need to give a critique before they will be critiqued. If you're unsure/scared of critiquing, new members are welcome to attend their first meeting and just see how it's done.
Some critiquing guidelines:
* Do give praise, improvement, praise
* Do point out problems and make suggestions
* Do use their name while speaking. Don't say "You... you... you..."
* Do focus on plot, characters, believability etc. more than grammar or spelling
* Do critique the work, not the author
* Do give written/electronic notes to the author afterwards
* Don't tell the author exactly what to write e.g. "Bob stared lustfully into Jane's eyes"
For the author:
* Do listen and take notes
* Do ask the reader why they thought this or that
* Don't get defensive. They are just opinions (of people trying to help).
* Don't explain what the book should have been (unless you're stuck). If it's not in the text it doesn't count.