January 21, 2014 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
This is a critique group for short stories and novels. Meetings are every two weeks. Authors email material to the group two weeks in advance. We meet in person (Peckham) or online (Google Hangouts) depending on circumstances. Limit of 10,000 words per meeting that members are expected to read and critique.
Events are invitation only and you must apply to join the group. Send a 3000 word sample (PDF preferred) to [masked]
We prefer well polished material that you've already done your absolute best on, and expect a basic understanding of writing (e.g. story structure, characters, plot, conflict, viewpoint).
New members are generally required to critique other members before being critiqued. If you're unsure/scared of critiquing, you may attend your first meeting to see how it's done.
Some critiquing guidelines:
* Do give praise, improvement, praise
* Do point out problems and make suggestions
* Do use their name while speaking. Don't say "You... you... you..."
* Do focus on plot, characters, believability etc. more than grammar or spelling
* Do critique the work, not the author
* Do email electronic notes to the author afterwards
* Don't tell the author exactly what to write e.g. "Bob stared lustfully into Jane's eyes"
For the author:
* Do listen and take notes
* Do ask the reader why they thought this or that
* Don't get defensive. They are just opinions (of people trying to help).
* Don't explain what the book should have been (unless you're stuck). If it's not in the text it doesn't count.