Writing can be difficult and lonely. Sometimes we need to get out and away from our own distractions and excuses. Pubs, cafes and parks are nice but wouldn't it also be good to be part of a group of writers? So let's work quietly together, gently encouraging each other to soldier on, and minding each others things when we have to go to the loo...
Is simple. We are a group of serious writers that meet somewhere comfortable and write for 2, 3 or 4 hours straight. Each person works on their own and sets their own targets. What you write is entirely up to you. But here is the difference: you are not alone. Others are around you, typing, scribbling or looking out into the distance. Their company will help you stay focused, stop you from drifting, and keep on writing.
* A profile photo, preferably a real one
* A brief description of yourself
* A very short answer to the Micro Fiction question. Just a sentence or two. It shows us who's serious enough to give it a try and thus be more likely to attend meetings.
PART 1: WRITING SESSION
This is the serious part of the meeting and we have strict rules to promote writing:
* Distractions must be kept to a minimum, so no mobile phones or talking. Just pretend you're in a library. Sssh! If you really have to be noisy then do it away from the group.
* Writers work on their own projects. No sharing or judgement of work. You measure your own progress and success.
* This is not a critique group. This is not a workshop with teachers/mentors or writing exercises.
* The show must go on! If the host is a no show then find other writers and get writing. There are no excuses for not writing.
* Keep your RSVP updated. It makes it a lot easier for hosts (who may be reserving tables). No shows will be recorded and possibly banned.
* When events are at a commercial venue (e.g. cafe or pub) buy something, anything to make us welcome there. Think of it as a venue hire fee. DO NOT bring your own food & drink. This makes us look really bad.
PART 2: SOCIAL (optional)
Whether this happens depends on the host. Check the event details. This is when you are free to talk, socialise and share experiences with fellow writers. Almost anything goes. It is also perfectly acceptable to come just for the writing and leave politely straight after. Your writing always comes first.
WHAT YOU NEED
Bring your unfinished project e.g. novel, short story, screenplay, poem etc.
Bring pen & paper, computer or whatever you like using. If it's electronic please check the battery will last because venues might not have power sockets available.
MOTIVATIONAL RANT (in case you need it)
Writing doesn't happen by itself. It's a constant battle against procrastination, distractions and "I'm too tired/busy/bored etc." Resist all this and commit to your passion. Attend our meetings as often as possible. They do get easier and you will get better. Just ask our members.
I don't know how long these meetings will run for. They are free and we do it because we love writing. Do not take them for granted. Do not miss opportunities to attend. This is completely for you. I say this to push you a little. It feels wonderful to call ourselves writers, but let's not forget to do the writing.
WriteTogether started in London and has inspired others across the globe:
* Write Together Canberra, Australia
* Create Together Sydney, Australia
* Pen and Note Osaka, Japan
* Write Together Tokyo, Japan
* Just Write It - Tokyo, Japan
* Write Together Berlin, Germany
* Royal Borough Writers, UK
You are welcome to start your own group and copy our text. All we ask is that you mention and link back to us, and send me your URL so that I can add it above :o)
BEING A HOST
Writers want to write as much as they can. Let's make it happen. With such a simple idea, it should be possible for lots of hosts to run regular meetings all over the place. The more choices the better. Read this page about becoming a host.
Donate to help cover our Meetup subscription and keep the free events running. Our financial records are publicly available.
We want these meetups to be enjoyable and productive. If any problems arise or you have an idea to share, please message me.
Warm regards and good writing,
20,664 Bored Busters
27,911 Weekend Fillers
10,948 Smart Londoners
3,834 United Filmmakers