Write Together Message Board › Double and Triple bookings in March

Double and Triple bookings in March

Tania D
ChroniclesoTania
London, GB
Post #: 8
Hi Hosts,

I noticed there are double or triple Write Together meetings booked on some days in March. It's going to affect attendance for all those meetings.

Perhaps it's better to coordinate with each other first before setting up a meeting to avoid clashes?

Tania
Joao
user 6301147
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 19
Hi Tania,

This is an interesting problem to have. Means we're getting busy!

Are you seeing attendance dropping because of too many meetings?
Is it causing too much clutter/noise on the calendar?
Are people getting too many email announcements?

What if they are in different areas?
Should we set up zones e.g. Central, West, East London, and only allow one meeting for each on a day? First host in gets it?
Ben
Ben...
London, GB
Post #: 239
It is indeed a good problem to have!

I think we don't want competing meets close together, but it's good to have a choice of venue when they are some distance apart. For example, tonight we have West London and North London, so perhaps the zone thing is the best approach.

Maybe ask people to label meets as Central/East/West/North/South and to check that there isn't already a meet in the same zone on the same day before scheduling one?

Ben
Tania D
ChroniclesoTania
London, GB
Post #: 9
Hi Joao and Ben,

The multiple bookings can cannabalise attendance for all concerned. This Thursday for instance, Sian's booked a session starting one hour after mine and only a few miles away. The attendance rate for my session's dropped off. I'm thinking of cancelling it as a result.

Next Thursday there are three sessions booked on Thursday! At least two are are far away in different areas, so shouldn't be too bad for West London attendance.

I think it's a good idea for hosts to check the calendar first and consult those who have already booked a session. It's just good manners and good practice otherwise we hosts look like we don't communicate with each other. The calendar does look messy when that happens.

Tania
Joao
user 6301147
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 20
I agree that meet ups and hosts should not have to compete with each other.
We don't want events running too close together and around the same time.

It sounds like we need some new rules:
* Days are divided into three periods: morning, afternoon and evening (6pm onwards)
* Only one meet up per period, or two if they're far apart (e.g. west and east London)
* Preference given to regular meet ups for that day & period. Otherwise, first in first served.

This might be the simplest way to do it and still gives lots of options. Any comments?
Tania D
ChroniclesoTania
London, GB
Post #: 10
Sounds like a workable solution to me!
Joao
user 6301147
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 22
And to get things started, here is timetable based on past events:

Tue evening: South London with Laurence/Joao (since last year)
Wed evening: Central London with Sian (since Jan)
Thu evening: West London with Tania (since October)

Sun afternoon: Central London, is harder to decide. Ibz and Tray have both been very active on this day. Are the hosts happy to split the afternoon? e.g. 1pm and 3pm? 12pm and 4pm? Other preferences?

There are other meets popping up but not regularly enough to give them 1st pick. Most of them don't clash anyway. Thu and Sun are the most popular days.

Again, more than one event can happen in the same period, so long as they follow the rules. Is everyone happy with this?
Ben
Ben...
London, GB
Post #: 240
I'm wondering whether perhaps we have 'official' meets, which are fixed days and fixed places (it's great to just know these are reliably happening), and 'I'll be writing here, come and join me if you like' alternatives?

For example, on Thursdays, West London and North London are equally convenient for me if I'm travelling from Liverpool Street, but to someone who is already close to one or the other, it might be handy to have an alternative. If we can find some way to make the official meets more prominent, so that most people go to those, that would strike me as the ideal.

I would also like to enter a personal plea to hold meetings in venues with power points. It's common for me to work on my laptop travelling both to and from write-ins, which I can only do if there is power at the venue. The Sunday Costa write-ins have for some reason moved away from the power points and into the central area, so last time I attended I was stuck on my own with no-one to watch my stuff, so figured I might as well be at home. The King's Cross venue has no power points at all that I can find.
Tania D
ChroniclesoTania
London, GB
Post #: 11
I like the idea of official 'meet ups' on certain days. If the main host can't make that day, one of the other hosts or members can step in. It's reliable and convenient for our members as Ben says. You know the meeting will occur whatever is happening with public transport, the weather etc.

I agree that all the locations we host in should have power socket access! Not everyone is on pen and paper...
Joao
user 6301147
Group Organizer
London, GB
Post #: 23
That sounds like the simplest way to go. Declare a few regular and official meetups. Other meets can happen whenever and wherever as long as they don't clash with the official ones.

We still need to hear from Ibz and Tray about Sunday.