Writers Coworking Philly Message Board › Writing Tools

Writing Tools

Anju
akanumalla
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 11
We had a brief discussion about tools at the last meetup, so I thought I’d post about that here:

Free and cheap word processors:

TextEdit - comes with Macs. Not the best compatibility with Microsoft Office.
Open Office - like Microsoft Office, but free. Not sure how it handles tracked changes, though.
Libre Office - like Microsoft Office, but free. Not sure how it handles tracked changes, though.
Evernote - free to download. Syncs accross devices. There is a paid version with additional features, but I haven’t needed it. I love evernote for things I have to access in multiple places like my to do list or shopping list.
Google Docs - also similar to Microsoft Word, but requires you to be connected to the internet.

Scrivener is a good tool that is not too expensive ($45). It’s very good for organizing longer writing projects and keeping your research together with it. You can do something similar with evernote, but scrivener has built in templates for formatting manuscripts and screenplays for submission or if you are going to put something out as an ebook. It’s easy enough to import text into this program, so you can delay getting this until you need to worry about formatting concerns or ePublishing.

iWerks Bluetooth Keyboard - I use this with my iPad, but it can be wirelessly connected to regular computers and smart phones. Comes in multiple colors.
http://www.amazon.com...­

Anyone else have any favorites?