The OC Young, Fun and Nerdy Meetup Message Board › Museum go round, and a day at the Griffith Observatory,

Museum go round, and a day at the Griffith Observatory,

John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 3
How about visiting some museums? Apparently we've got some pretty good ones here...'specially in LA. LACMA for instance...or perhaps the Getty! I'm dusting off some old hobbies & will be doing the rounds at some of Southern California's finest repositories of fine art. If anyone wants to come along, they're more than welcome. If I get enough responses, we can organize a meetup! They will be full days for me, especially at the larger museums...but I'm sure I'll be able to break away for a couple of hours and hang with the group.

Also...the Griffith Observatory...if ever there was a contest for "California Icon of Nerdly Splendor" that would definitely be a contender. Having seen it in numerous films, it's always held a certain silent majestic mystique for me...and sadly I've never been there. Anyone want to organize a meetup? As it will be my first visit, I'd prob'ly suck as an organizer...as I'll certainly be dumbstruck, caught up in the experience. It might be a fun trip. Any of you ever been there & know the setup?
Chris
cmiller
Fullerton, CA
Post #: 2
I've been to the Griffith Observatory, its really cool (I was lucky enough to see the Apollo 11 40th anniversary). I would be happy to schedule a meetup to there, as well as other museums. Anyone interested in seeing the La Brea Tar Pits?
Rick
rickf
Lake Forest, CA
Post #: 3
A museum tour would be cool. I'd also recommend the Museum of Jurassic Technology, very unique: http://www.yelp.com/b...­
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 4
Some good ideas already! I'm thinking about starting w/ LACMA & the Getty...not on the same day of course. Probly in early to mid December. If anyone knows any other museums where I might be able to find more fine art, pls let me know. I'm getting pretty deep into my drawing & painting again, so fine art is definitely my focus at the moment...either contemporary or classical. Of course, the whimsical will always have a special place...right there in my gut next to the PB&J!
A former member
Post #: 1
i wanna go to The La Brea Tar Pits, but mostly because i love the name. translation: The The Tar Tar Pits. :) it is next to the LACMA, i think.
A former member
Post #: 12
Well, your wish is my command. I'll get a Getty/Observatory meetup on the calendar ASAP for early December?
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 5
Wow...now that's what I call service! Faster'n Federal Express!

Are you thinking both in one day? I guess that's possible. Would definitely save me some gas, as I'm an OC plant.

Cool! Really looking forward to it!
A former member
Post #: 14
i would like to go to museums as well. (:
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 6
Okay...so the Long Beach Cycle World International Motorcycle Show is on the weekend of 12/4. I'll be there on Saturday, 12/5, for at least half the day & will try to break away by 1pm...then head to LACMA, where I'll prob'ly spend the rest of the day. Trying to clump my trips up "north" in an effort to be a little greener.

You're right Melinda...the Tar Pits are pretty much adjacent to LACMA...so guess I'll be going there as well!

Was thinking about OD'ing on the whole LA experience by catching a movie that night at one of the quaint theatres there since I'll be in the area...who knows...just brain farting for now...then perhaps some Thai food afterwards (or before?).

The bike show is for sure for me. Been waiting all year for it. LACMA, most probably. We've already got a tentative meetup scheduled for the Getty/Griffith. Should we set up a meetup for LACMA in the afternoon of Saturday, 12/5? Sorry guys... It doesn't have to happen on that date/time (selfish me). I just figured I'll be going there & am offering an open invite to anyone else willing to tag along. If the schedule doesn't work for y'all, we can always set up a meetup for LACMA at another time.
Kirk
user 8574563
Fullerton, CA
Post #: 4
It's easy to get to LACMA and many other cool museums in L.A. on Metro. I go up on the train quite often.