align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The OC Young, Fun and Nerdy Meetup Message Board Young, Fun and Nerdy Topics › New Meetup: 80 Plates...next stop Lebanese/Middle Eastern cuisine...March 27

New Meetup: 80 Plates...next stop Lebanese/Middle Eastern cuisine...March 27 6pm.

John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Announcing a new Meetup for The OC Young, Fun and Nerdy Meetup!

What: 80 Plates...next stop Lebanese/Middle Eastern cuisine...March 27 6pm.

When: Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:00 PM

Where:
Olive Tree / Al Zaytouna
512 S Brookhurst St #3
Anaheim, CA 92806
(714) 535-2878

Found this place by accident after visiting a bakery sort of adjacent to it (we can get dessert there afterwards...really good baklava). I'll be honest...I've never eaten there myself, but the smells coming from the kitchen were enough to get me to set this up. I may have lunch there before the actual meetup, in which case I'll update the post w/ a little review.

Those of you who have attended my 80 Plates meetups (short for Around the World in 80 Plates) know the drill. Good authentic ethnic food & even better conversation. Taking suggestions for a venue after dinner (the bakery is rather small). There's a cigar bar next door, but I may be tempted to partake of a stogie myself...an expensive habit I've long since given up (sigh).

There should be enough of a variety for everyone, vegetarian & carnivore alike. Costs should be under $20 per person, including a drink & tip. I'm figuring we'll order family style again, so we get to sample as many different things as possible. As always, please do bring small bills, to make divvying up the pot easier afterwards.

With regards to RSVPs, I'll allow Maybe's for this first week, but in the week leading up to the event, I'll be emailing everyone. If you don't reply, you get bumped into the waiting list. Remember, we'll have a reservation, so no shows will be highly frowned upon. In fact I've been keeping a list (and will be checking it twice). Organizers will be deciding soon what to do about all the flaky flagonoviches in the not too distant future...membership revocation is on the list of possible consequences...so be good for goodness sake!

Lastly. No more lost nerds. All RSVP'ers need to email me their cell phone #. Believe me, this prevents far too many problems to mention.

Okay. Ciao y'all. I'm hungry. Let's do this...

Learn more here:
http://www.meetup.com...­
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 69
Had dinner there tonight...lamb on browned rice. Huge portions (two shanks on a bed of rice which just about spilled over the edge of the 10-inch oval plate. The lamb was really good...as was the rice (with bits of seasoned ground beef, garnished with parsley and roasted almond slivers). It also came with a little bowl of yogurt, some pita bread, and a side of pickled vegetables. Basically enough for two meals... Guess what I'm having for breakfast?

Altogether really good! They have different special dishes for each day, and their regular crowd comes specifically for those specials. On the day of our meetup, the specials will be fish and chicken. We'll need to let them know if we'll be having any of either of those dishes, in advance... I know I'm ready for both. This looks to be one of the best places our 80 Plates crew will visit. So stoked!