The OC Young, Fun and Nerdy Meetup Message Board › Day trip to Catalina

Day trip to Catalina

John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 80
Does anyone know about fees on the island? Never been, so I've no idea. It will take some time to collect all the info, so I figured I'd ask around. Does anyone in the group have any experience? Is there a fee once you get to the island? It's a given that you'll have to pay for food & activities once there...but are there any other fees?

Looks like there's a $10 discount for round trip tickets to Catalina, through May...so that's $58 per head. Not cheap, but not a bad option compared against a road trip elsewhere. We may even consider an overnighter...arriving Saturday morning & leaving Sunday afternoon.

Your thoughts?

Stephanie
user 10085034
Manhattan Beach, CA
Post #: 3
I went once a few years ago while my friend ran the 1/2 marathon there...We took a "fast" boat from Marina del Rey (the Express) but there are probably "fast" boats closer to the O.C. Check LB but also I think boats leave from Redondo as well...

I can't remember what we paid the fast boats are def worth the cost...the slow ones...UGH!

No fee to go onto the island...Yes, u have to pay for all the activities...I think there is diving, there's a cute downtown at Twin Harbors and some bars...I took a shuttle tour of the island that was def worth it. There's a kitschy glass bottom boat tour...don't recall what else...

Stephanie
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 109
How about late September for this event?
Stephanie
user 10085034
Manhattan Beach, CA
Post #: 8
Sounds good for a day trip...I've heard that Aug. is a time of rough/choppy (intuit that to mean "queasy stomach inducing) waters...
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 132
Catalina beckons. Saturday w/ a possible overnighter that night, departing back to umm...the United States...Sunday afternoon. F/ those who can't do the overnighter, you can be there either Sat or Sun.

Need a vote f/ which weekend in October...16th, 23rd, or 30th?
James
user 10026463
Irvine, CA
Post #: 28
10/16
Cathleen C
user 10136574
Long Beach, CA
Post #: 42
Can't do 16th. Godson's 9th Bday weekend. I'm not sure if 23rd or 30th would work either. Disney Halloween Haunt near 23rd. Then Halloween next weekend. So this one I may have to sit out.

Cathleen
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group. I would absolutely love to go to Catalina :D It's definitely more fun with a group.

Maryam Lucia
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 133
Maryam, are you sure you want to be stuck on an island w/ a bunch of nerds you've never met before? LOL! I've been hanging w/ these clowns f/ just over half a year now, and every now & again, I have to ask myself, "Are you for real?" (For the record, I'm the resident pig. There are others, but I'm not a snitch.)

All kidding mostly aside, this is a good group. The girls are classy & smart, & the guys...provide a...a well-intentioned point of contrast.

As far as Catalina is concerned, response to the discussion could be stronger, but I'll go on faith that if I build it they will come.

At this point, we have a 10/16, a no go, and a big thumbs up. What weekend works f/ you?

Maybe this'll even get others to respond...hint, hint...
Renuka
meet_renuka
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 7
This sounds fun.. hopefully we'll see dolphins flipping next to the boat on the way there.. happened last time i went.. which was ages ago.. Hopefully we haven't abused our environment so much that they're no longer there.. It was a spectacular sight.. and the otters cracking shells on their bellies at the island were so cute too! :)

Anyways.. I can go any weekend of October except the first one (10/8 & 10/9)... I'll be there for the overnighter... is this a tentative camping trip? they have cabins/hostels there too right?