addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The OC Young, Fun and Nerdy Meetup Message Board Young, Fun and Nerdy Topics › Attendance Policy Questions/Comments/Concerns

Attendance Policy Questions/Comments/Concerns

Katie
user 7451005
Huntsville, AL
Post #: 34
Hi everyone,

If you have any questions/comments/concerns about the group attendance policy, please feel free to post them on this thread.
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi Katie. Just wondering if you have a deadline when you can change your rsvp? Is 24 hours notice acceptable and will not count against you?
Katie
user 7451005
Huntsville, AL
Post #: 35
As long as you change it by the time an event starts and/or let the organizer of the event know you can't make it by that time, we won't count a strike against you. Twenty-four hours notice would be great, though, because it allows us enough time to change reservations if needed, etc. Other organizers may have a more specific RSVP time in mind, which I assume they'll post on their respective events (*James, John, Danielle, Chris ... let us know if you have any input regarding RSVP time).
A former member
Post #: 360
I said yes to the private screen of a movie, but when i got an email about it not being hold for the group, I changed my mind to saying no.
A former member
Post #: 2
Good and fair policy.
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 85
Thanks Katie, for posting this.

As far as a reasonable time to change your mind about attending an event for which you'd RSVPd 'YES,' that will depend on the type of event, as far as I'm concerned. A good rule of thumb is that the longer the waiting list, the greater the likelihood that the new RSVP policy will be applied to an event. I may even decide to apply the policy to an event that didn't originally have it from the start...of course I'll give ample time for people to change plans. Those of you who've attended my events know I'm not unreasonable. But I will enforce the rules when I think privileges are being abused, or if others are taken for granted.

It's my opinion that the members of this group, by simple virture of their nerdiness, generally possesses or uses an intellectual capacity differently from another group such as...say...the Underwater Basketweaving Meetup group (no offense if this group actually exists). Great power, great responsibility and all that. In return for the organizers' volunteered time (and in Katie's case, money as well--an issue which I'll address at my own meetups) I think it's fair to at the very least expect a certain level of courtesy to be extended from all members. The fact that there even needs to be a rule in place rather disappoints me, but that's life...

Let's keep the quality of this group at the level we'd all be happy with. Cheers all!

James
user 10026463
Irvine, CA
Post #: 25
Since so many of my meetups involve a start time that literally requires people who show up on time to wait for others who don't show up on time, I'll be pretty strict in reinforcing the policy. As John said, we're all adults and most are quite intelligent so there is no reasonable excuse for a no-show w/o a courtesy call.
A former member
Post #: 14
I only have a semi-basic cell phone with no internet access so I always need at least a few hours before because I cannot see who has bailed. 24 hours is always best- just change it to a NO so I can see who is coming and see if its still worth doing if the attendance is really low.

I had that problem with a book discussion. 4 bailed the night before and 2 were no shows and 1 was really late leaving me alone for over an hour holding a table feeling miserable.

Calling me is always great too! Just let me know you're not coming!

-Danielle
Renuka
meet_renuka
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 1
What if we RSVP with a guest (who is not a member) and the guest cancels last minute? Does that count as a strike?
A former member
Post #: 3
I love the policy. It puts accountability on the members so that members say what they mean and mean what they say. It makes events more enjoyable when you can expect a certain number of people (even if it's only 2 or 3 people) and count on them to make it. I think it adds character to the group that other groups don't have (at least not the other groups I'm a part of!)

John: The fact that there even needs to be a rule in place rather disappoints me, but that's life...

Let's keep the quality of this group at the level we'd all be happy with. Cheers all!
I think it's working out for the best. Look at the turnout for Iron Man and Kayaking! Two huge successes back to back!

James: I'll be pretty strict in reinforcing the policy. As John said, we're all adults and most are quite intelligent so there is no reasonable excuse for a no-show w/o a courtesy call.
Word.

Renuka: What if we RSVP with a guest (who is not a member) and the guest cancels last minute? Does that count as a strike?
I imagine it's dependent on the organizer and the requirements of the event. As your guest, I'm guessing you would know that persons' tendencies and/or probability of them making the event.