The OC Young, Fun and Nerdy Meetup Message Board › Quest for Fire

Quest for Fire

John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 121
Aside from camping out, where can a nerd go to sit outside in front of a fire w/o the man breathing down my neck after 10pm?

Which begs the question...say we reserved a spot at one of the beaches for a campout. Does this automatically allow us to keep a fire going after 10pm?
Stephanie
user 10085034
Manhattan Beach, CA
Post #: 10
All signs point to yes, John. That is, IF the place you're camping allows fires in the 1st place. If the state park or campground allows you to build a campfire, then I believe you can roast Fiona's marshmallows, Munni-style, funky skewers and pretty much anything else you want...all night long and sing, "Kum By Yah" w/ what's-his-name-Guitar-Guy till the sun comes up. Sorry, Fiona, that first part came out wrong!
Renuka
meet_renuka
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 5
psssst.. Theres this park.. that has a camp ground..

Ronald W. Caspers Wilderness Park

i discovered it through this web page:

Campgrounds for beginners

We can only set wood on fire in the firepits only. (I checked)

It's available in September! (I didnt even check August, Fiona :) )

umm what else.. oh! i didnt read the whole thing coz my brain hurts a little.. so there may be some catches..

If i don't find a use for my tent i'm setting it up in the backyard and officially "moving out" of my parents house. :D
A former member
Post #: 36
I haven't gone camping but I'm interested. However I don't have the necessary equipment. Anyone suggest the minimum requirements? I want to be that guy from "Into the Wild."
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 135
Guess you didn't watch that movie, Joe. He's the guy you don't want to go camping with...

Far as camping goes, depends on how much you want to rough it. Bare minimum would be

1. Waterproof (top & bottom) tent
2. Something soft-ish to sleep on
3. Sleeping bag
4. Warm clothes
5. This is getting tedious
6. I don't think we have any Paris Hiltons in our group
7. Unless you're planning on having filet mignon for dinner while we're out there
8. You'll probly be okay
9. Oh, and bring a car charger f/ your cellphone
10. And holy water...
Renuka
meet_renuka
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 9
11. Toilet paper and wet wipes.
John
user 10401756
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 137
I thought that's what little furry animals were for. Oh. Sorry. Flashback...
Renuka
meet_renuka
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 10
I was just browsing this campsite reservation website (as people usually do while at work) and found there are dates available for Hanna Flats near Big Bear in September.. If anyone is still interested.. It may be appropriate as none of us seem to be hard-core campers.. it's not a beach though.. But they have firepits and flush toilets.. Hopefully no one will confuse the two..

We could go ziplining nearby the next day. Costs would be involved for people interested.
Renuka
meet_renuka
Cerritos, CA
Post #: 11
Just a note: The location i posted in the earlier post is near Big Bear and at a higher altitude (i think 7000') so it will probably be cold, esp at night.. September may be the only month left to do this as people's schedules are booked for August and after that it MAY get too cold..

Also I just post these comments as information.. I'm not pressuring organizers.. just trying to be helpful.. smile

And haha I just noticed that the very first line in this discussion is "Aside from camping out".. ok i steered away from the topic... but it's Friday.. so its excusable.. tongue
A former member
Post #: 38
Talking to a couple of people at the previous beach meet up there is still an interest to go camping on a weekend. Since it is california the weather won't be too bad.though we can't put this off for much longer. I am still interested in battling nature with a back pack and inhaler. Are others? 4 or 5 or more would be ideal I think. I'm a noob at this so I'm looking for someone else to lead the way.