addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Young Sierra Club - Socials, Arts & Outings! Message Board › Current trail conditions in Harriman State park.

Current trail conditions in Harriman State park.

Joe
user 11731755
Rockaway, NJ
Post #: 5
Current trail conditions in Harriman State park.

we have had 2 incidents this winter that highlight the need for winter mountain preparedness.
The first was a fatality on Hook Mountain near rockland lake park. A woman wearing snowshoes and her dog fell off the palisade cliffs to her death. (it is unconfirmed if she had bear claws on the snowshoes or not)

The second, a pair of hikers on storm king went offtrail, one fell a certain distance and dislocated his shoulder, both had to be extracted by mountain rescuers as the icy conditions had trapped them on the north side of the mountain. (appears they did not have proper crampons for the trip.)

I just got back from a hiking trip to harriman this weekend. Low-lying areas are covered in sheets of ice, and do require stabilicers, although I do recommend 4 or 6 point crampons at this time. The ridges, are all covered in ice rind. Be prepared for this. There is thick layer of ice still up on the crests there. (I was on breakneck ridge, reeves brook area.) Sometimes it will support your weight, other times it will not, you may go down to your knee or your hip depending. I had to do my fair share of crawling out of the Ice-craters. It's requires a higher level of work..... AT this time, i do NOT recommend harriman for inexperienced hikers. It is just too dangerous.
A former member
Post #: 10
I really appreciate this post. Thanks for providing some very useful information.